PDA

View Full Version : clocking new turbo ?

bboyclo
05-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Would not clocking the turbo the right way so the oil return is pointing down cause coolant to mix with oil? Or would it be an indication of a bad turbo seal? Motor had no issues prior to turbo install.

e1_griego
05-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Oil mixing with coolant is the sign of a failed head gasket.

Oil and coolant are kept separate in the turbo, and not clocking it correctly won't change that.

bboyclo
05-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Ok, well like I said there was no problem with the motor until I started it with the new Turbo

Sleepiedaze
05-27-2015, 02:41 PM
hate to say it but clocking a turbo would not cause your issue.

cotbu
05-27-2015, 02:56 PM
XD... trying to figure out if you could feed, water to the oil in or vise versa, but you've got to be the definition of stupid to even think that it was correct... idk sorry XD

bboyclo
05-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Well it's the seal then for sure

e1_griego
05-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Fluids are separated by the casting, not seals.

You sure you didn't mix the lines for coolant and oil somehow?

bboyclo
05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Fluids are separated by the casting, not seals.

You sure you didn't mix the lines for coolant and oil somehow?

Like the gentleman above stated there's no way that could've happened since the lines are different. And yes that was my initial thought too. But if the lines were switched then there would be oil in the coolant as well but there wasnt.

cotbu
05-27-2015, 03:34 PM
disconnect the oil drain from pan, run it to a catch pan/bottle start the engine for a few seconds check the oil in the pan. fresh clean oil change obviously, the turbo chra might be crack or you can check the head gasket.

Chaluska
05-27-2015, 03:35 PM
have you driven the car with the new turbo installed, and boosted it?

If so, how much boost did you run, and how old is the engine. if its an OE head gasket, and you boosted anything over a few PSI, you probably blew the head gasket.

go to the parts house, get a compression tester and a coolant system pressure tester with import adapter. check the color of the spark plugs and see if any of them are sparkling shiny compared to the others.

Lastly, pull the thermostat and fill the car up with water. Run the car until it gets to operating temperatures, and check to see if there are fizzy bubbles coming out of the radiator cap.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/mechie3/TueFeb23214621AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

if you see bubbles, your head gasket is blown

if you have low compression in one cylinder and the spark plug looks steam cleaned, your head gasket is blown

if you pressure test the radiator, and it holds 20 PSI of pressure with zero pressure drops, then there is something else in your oil besides coolant.

bboyclo
05-27-2015, 03:46 PM
The car never left the jack stands, so no I haven't driven it this was just idling. I checked my fluids before starting the car so the probability of me blowing a cometic headgasket after starting the car is pretty low lol. Maybe I really did get sent a crap turbo either seal or a crack on the chra

KAT-PWR
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
The car never left the jack stands, so no I haven't driven it this was just idling. I checked my fluids before starting the car so the probability of me blowing a cometic headgasket after starting the car is pretty low lol. Maybe I really did get sent a crap turbo either seal or a crack on the chra

But the probablility of the cometic not sealing due to imporper installation is high

bboyclo
05-28-2015, 06:03 AM
But the probablility of the cometic not sealing due to imporper installation is high

Didn't know they magically just blow up after 2 years

bboyclo
05-28-2015, 09:32 PM
It definitely was the seal, thanks for everyone who had a useful input.

e1_griego
05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Pic of coolant seal please?

Should just be a cavity in the casting, not a seal that can blow.

Sileighty_85
05-29-2015, 02:11 AM
There is no seal that can blow causing the oil and coolant to mix inside a turbo. Unless you got some super shitty ghetto China turbo that does that shit.

But as a FYI not properly clocking a turbo to where the oil drain is not pointing down and not allowing oil freely flow into the pan will cause the oil seals to blow. AS well as not using the proper oil feed restrictor.

bboyclo
05-29-2015, 05:16 AM
Pic of coolant seal please?

Should just be a cavity in the casting, not a seal that can blow.

Not sure if this is a seal or whatever you call it but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do what it's doing
https://instagram.com/p/3Q4fkNJJqm/

bboyclo
05-29-2015, 05:17 AM
There is no seal that can blow causing the oil and coolant to mix inside a turbo. Unless you got some super shitty ghetto China turbo that does that shit.

But as a FYI not properly clocking a turbo to where the oil drain is not pointing down and not allowing oil freely flow into the pan will cause the oil seals to blow. AS well as not using the proper oil feed restrictor.

Thanks for the info

Sileighty_85
05-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Not sure if this is a seal or whatever you call it but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do what it's doing
https://instagram.com/p/3Q4fkNJJqm/

Thats a heat shield. That movement is normal. When the exhaust housing in bolted down it secures that shield

bboyclo
05-29-2015, 06:44 AM
I just sent the turbo back and they are replacing it with a new one.

Sileighty_85
05-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Are you sure that is suppose to be a coolant fed turbo?

Would you say this pic is accurate?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/Turbo_zpsxx5jhbdl.jpg

bboyclo
05-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Are you sure that is suppose to be a coolant fed turbo?

Would you say this pic is accurate?
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/Turbo_zpsxx5jhbdl.jpg

Yes those markings are accurate and on the other side 2 more holes for coolant and adjacent from the oil return is the oil feed

ultimateirving
05-29-2015, 09:55 AM
When you took the old turbo off was it possible you had the oil return hose removed first and coolant sloshed in there when disconnecting the coolant lines from the turbo originally? Or has the engine oil been change and coolant found after initial startup?

Edit.
Otherwise it might be time for a compression test

bboyclo
05-29-2015, 10:09 AM
When you took the old turbo off was it possible you had the oil return hose removed first and coolant sloshed in there when disconnecting the coolant lines from the turbo originally? Or has the engine oil been change and coolant found after initial startup?

Edit.
Otherwise it might be time for a compression test

Oil was changed 1 week before mounting new turbo so car like I said was in perfect running condition prior to being parked. Also checked my oil before starting. I drained all the coolant before pulling lines off.

Sileighty_85
05-30-2015, 08:56 AM
it looks as if the "coolant port" and oil port are connected.

Are you able to look through the coolant port and see the oil drain port?

If so that's your problem

ultimateirving
05-30-2015, 09:30 AM
that second bolt on the turbo is a little unfamiliar, THat plug bolt of some sort?