PDA

View Full Version : Raw brokerage package vs home job

Loomis112
05-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Recently I have debating what to do with my blown Sr, Should I send it out or do it myself?

For those of you who don't know Raw Brokerage does a complete engine service rebuild with some quality parts for $5,000 (http://www.rawbrokerage.com/raw-brokerage-pro-built-long-block-stage-1-sr20det/)

I want to build a block and make 400-450whp

That being said I have very limited space and I have never really rebuilt an engine so I have neither the experience nor the tools....

My question is would I really save any money doing it myself?

With the shop rates and all wouldn't it be about the same doing what they do to the block yourself?

Would it be worth doing it myself? (I understand being proud that you did everything yourself but in the end I just want a properly assembled block that can handle the horse power I wanna throw at it...)

Also I understand that this package alone will not get my to 400+ I just want to know what you guys think.

Is it a good deal or what?

wurley
05-09-2015, 03:42 PM
I would check out places like mazworx and others, see who has the best deals. It seems like a lot upfront, but you probably wouldn't save a tone doing it yourself.

KAT-PWR
05-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Any knowledgeable engine/machine shop should be able to build it and most likely cheaper.

Loomis112
05-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Where I live we have like one good shop around I'll have to give them a call but yeah thanks guys

coupesallday!
05-09-2015, 06:18 PM
There's a step by step tutorial that I followed on nicoclub on rebuilding a sr I did exactly everything they did and didn't have a problem. I took my engine block and head to a machine shop, you can also take the Pistons to them as well. I paid a little over $2k assembling it myself. Only aftermarket parts I bought was acl bearings and cp Pistons

kashira kureijii
05-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I did mine by myself ( with the help of my sensei of course, baby steps bruh)

have some one with experience look at the bore, if its not gouged or to worn, you can just de-gloss/ crosshatch it with this little spinny deal. can save some money there.

I got an oem gasket kit from Covina Nissan, they also sell new cranks if your crank is scarred, they're expensive though:facepalm:
they also have pretty good piston-rod combo deals on ebay, I got eagle rods, and cp pistons when I did mine, also got a set of clevite bearings

oem gaskit kit was like $200
pistons and rods like $800
brand new crank I remember being like $800 but I don't remember
bearings like $90
valve stem seals were included with the gasket set ( I think), so if you do the head yourself, you also can save some money.

I didn't actually get mine tanked, but I kinda felt bad about it :-/, so I would still do that so it looks all shiny and shit

Kingtal0n
05-09-2015, 08:39 PM
The only place I would let near an sr20det is Mazworx