PDA

View Full Version : overheating issues. brb killing self

SStough
05-05-2015, 08:39 PM
alright so... i have replaced and upgraded every bit of the cooling system.

Godspeed Radiator
ISIS Performance Radiator Fan Shroud Kit - Nissan 240sx 89-94 KA24
Hayden 3654 Adjustable Dual Electric Fan Thermostat Kit, w/ relay and AC cir
Stant 180 F Thermostat
Brand new water pump
Rev9Power Aluminum Overflow tank
Clutch fan delete
Bled air from cooling system

its fine at idle, stays at operating temp, but as soon as i start driving the temp starts climbing. I am about to drive this thing off a cliff. Even with no fans it shouldn't be overheating like this. Any help would be appreciated before I lose my mind.

jscherf92
05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
checked the actual temp sending unit? checked gauge accuracy with an aftermarket gauge or consult?

anti tyler
05-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How did you bleed the system? Lifting the front end in the air is the only sure fire way to get all air pockets out of the system

SStough
05-05-2015, 09:33 PM
getting an aftermarket temp gauge is next on my list, and yes i bled by jacking the front up and letting it heat up

The stock gauge seems pretty accurate due to the fact that i took the thermostat out and it did what i expected it to; heat up at stand still and cool down almost all the way while driving.

erikforce1
05-05-2015, 09:47 PM
There's probably a pocket of air in the system. Did you bleed out the air? You can try having a funnel on the radiator with coolant in halfway and run the car at about 2500-3000, but make sure that funnel is snugged in there otherwise coolant will come out from the sides or the funnel will fall off. Make sure also that the funnel is big so it won't overfill. There's a spill free funnel I use, company name is Lisle, you can find at pep boys for about $47, but you can get it on tooltopia.com for $23.

To help you when you're running the car, have the heater on full heat and high fan speed. Check periodically, every 5 min or so and recheck coolant level. Getting the air pocket out is time consuming, but this is the best way. I found out the hard way and the same situation happened to me. I replaced my coolant temp sensor, thermostat and coolant, bleed the coolant through the bleeder plug with a air vaccuum, test drover it and was overheating. After using the funnel, I got all the air out and runs perfect.

SStough
05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
i guess ill run to the store when I get up and grab one of those funnels and bleed it again, and pick up a cheap water temp gauge.

erikforce1
05-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Do you have a pedal holder? If you're doing this by yourself, it will help a lot so that you can have the car at 2500-3000 constant while you're checking everything else

Croustibat
05-06-2015, 03:39 AM
alright so... i have replaced and upgraded every bit of the cooling system.

Godspeed Radiator
ISIS Performance Radiator Fan Shroud Kit - Nissan 240sx 89-94 KA24

Now you can replace these 2 again, with products that do the job this time.

I did something similar, the fan did not have enough pressure to push nor pull air through the radiator.

Also if you have a mark2 s13 front bumper, removed the undertray and installed a FMIC... it does not help either (been there, done that).

IF that overheat is not caused by an engine problem (like retarded ignition and / or lean condition, cracked head, head gasket gone), or a bleeding problem, there are some cheap ways to go.

first, you need a real working fan. Get spal ones, they are good. A good radiator would be nice to have but they are expensive, so you may want to leave it for now.

Then you need to install the undertray back, duct the radiator to force air going through it, not around (fire resistant foam in a can may not look cool but is the easiest to apply on the sides of the radiator), and finally vent the hood near the radiator.

SStough
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
fixed.

bottom line of the radiator was backed off a little bit and sucking in air.

bmaddock
05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Good job Steven! :wavey: