PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE oil on piston?

HDCatnip
04-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone, I drive a 1992 240sx S13. Like six months ago I attempted the 248/232 with a 4 teeth retard. I stripped the idler sprocket and had to take off the head. It had a little coolant on the pistons like normal and some buildup. I cleaned off the tops of the pistons then I fixed the idler sprocket and put the head with a new gasket back on the engine and torqued everything to spec. I Hooke everything else back up and put new coolant in and put the same spark plugs I have had back in it. Attempted to get it timed which I think I still don't have right. I went to start it a few times and got some backfires and it shook my car like it was seriously about to start but nothing happend. ( note : my car hasn't been started in 6 months and it ran great before all this. ) I took out my spark plugs, 1 had alittle oil on the spark part, the second had quite a bit where it was about to drip, third plug barley had anything, and fourth was bone dry and didn't even smell like fuel. I just assumed that oil was on pistons because it was sitting with jacks on the front for months. Help? Surely it's not my piston rings sense my car hasn't been started to ware them down or fry them , right? And it's a brand new head gasket so surely that can't be it..? It's not my valve cover gasket considering that there isn't oil on the top part of the plugs. My fuel pump primes but still no gas smell in 4th cylinder. I bought brand new spark plugs hoping that will do the trick but I'm sure it won't. It means a lot guys. Please help.

that1guywithans13
05-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Seems dumb but I say take your oil out and measure how much is actually in there. If it's more that 3.75 quarts, there's too much. For whatever reason (maybe when your car was on those stands your talking about and it was tilted) you checked the oil and it looked low and you put more in. Regardless drain it to see if there's more than 3.75. If there's more, then your oil pressure goes way up and forces it through your valve seals and ends in the piston area causing oil on plugs which in turn causes a no start condition. Another thing is if your cranking and cranking and no start, the fuel is injected and unburned which end up wetting the plugs too much. Acts like it's flooded. this procedure worked on my s13 a few weeks ago:
1) Drain oil, smell for gas. Measure the amount too. Either reuse (I wouldn't, get new cheap oil at least for the test) put 3.75 back in. If changing the filter, fill with 4 quarts.
2) Pull plugs and clean and dry them. (Make sure theyr gapped correctly)
3) start her.

My situation was I bought the car and the previous owner had the wrong dip stick in it. It was too short to read level so naturally I dropped a quart in there which caused oil on pistons, spark plugs, hard start, and unburnt gas causing a no start condition. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and after a bit she started which lead me to connect all the dots. If you want take the fuel pump fuse out and try cranking a few times while pumping the gas pedal to see if she'll start. Then do the above steps.

Kingtal0n
05-02-2015, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't worry yet, about a little oil on the plugs. Just focus on the main problem, fuel spark compression to start. verify all cylinder compression. Check for fuel delivery. check for spark and verify timing.

HDCatnip
05-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I'm definitely going to try all of these helpful steps. Thanks a lot guys. I was worrying pretty bad but, you guys gave me a sense of relief. I'll do all of this on my day off! Ill let you guys know how it goes.