PDA

View Full Version : FYI: You be the judge

HaLo
08-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Well, I went with cheap parts. I am sorry. ;)

I just recently bought the SS Autochrome Generation II SS Manifold and the turbo elbow. I took some pics to show you what I think about the product.

The manifold seems quite nice. Actually, I am impressed with the improvements they put on it. Since most of them were cracking because of turbo weight with vibration, they tried their best to reinforce their current design.

Manifold:
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0344.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0346.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0347.JPG

Notice on this picture how EACH runner as a small reinforcement? Might not do much, but it's better than nothing.
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0345.JPG

Another piece of reinforcement at the runner junction:
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0350.JPG

This is the best part: an included bracket to reduce vibration...
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0351.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0352.JPG

Now let's talk about the elbow. Very nice design, 2 different runners: one for wastegate and one for the exhaust. That's to reduce turbulence...

Now let's diss on that part because that one is FAR from perfect. First of all, I had to HAMMER the bolt under the wastegate runner because there was not enough space to fit it in... And second, the freakin' thing touches the steering column. Now, I should have expected this from such a cheap (price-wise) part. I might bang that runner to make it clear my column. What do you think?

Elbow:
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0337.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0340.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0342.JPG
www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0343.JPG

Please take in mind that both part cost me a huge 243$ shipped to my place. It's not expensive... And if it crackes.. At least it won't have cost me a lot. ;)

S14DB
08-10-2004, 09:28 PM
The Manifold looks much better.

I worry about the bung being in the pipe blocking exhaust flow and creating turbulance the seperated wastegate was suposed to fix.

HaLo
08-10-2004, 09:31 PM
You know, I haven't thought about that one... But looking quickly at the stock elbow and this one, both have about same diameter (exhaust side) and the bung was in the stock elbow at the same location... ;)

mrmephistopheles
08-11-2004, 12:12 AM
that bracket should've been in the original design. they've had that sort of thing on mani's here for ages.

HaLo
08-11-2004, 12:48 PM
10 hours later, it's fully installed.

The elbow clears the column by 1mm... but when the torque kicks in, i really feel it in the steering wheel... any suggestions?

As for power, I did not push the car, yet.

As for sound, it's completely different... it's nice but I need to get used to it...

mrmephistopheles
08-11-2004, 06:25 PM
The elbow clears the column by 1mm... but when the torque kicks in, i really feel it in the steering wheel... any suggestions?

What engine/trans mounts do you have? Got an engine torque dampener?

HaLo
08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
I still have the stock mounts but I do have a torque damper... might fill my front mounts with urethane... anyways, I got an appointment to have the elbow modified to clear the column..

I can really hear my turbo... And it's really loud.... I wonder if it's a leak or just the way it is. No losses in boost, only turbo whistling..

HaLo
08-11-2004, 06:32 PM
And finally, butt-dyno DID notice a DECENT power gain on boost...
maybe 10hp on 10psi...

HaLo
08-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Justto let you guys know, the problem is solved now. I had a shop heat the elbow and deform it so I have 1 cm clearance.

sounds greats.
pulls like crazy...

It's a great upgrade for the price and it really gives you some butt dyno HP. I have to dyno it to have a real figure, but response and spool up time are so quick now..

mrmephistopheles
08-12-2004, 06:57 PM
kickass.
The louder sound of the turbine is probably due to the thinner piping of the exhaust manifold and elbow.

HaLo
08-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah... that's what it is... I tought originally that it was caused by a leak... But I am not losing any boost and the elbow has been taken off an put back on by the shop...

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
08-12-2004, 07:42 PM
yea i just installed one on my car this weekend along with an s14 turbo and it feels great. kinda scared about the cracking part but hopefully that little bracket for the manifold helps support the weight. i showed it to a guy at a shop called AfterHours and he liked it as well. he couldnt believe how cheap it was. his only comment though about it was that he said that they paired it wrong. basically the 2 outer pipes shouldve been paired together and the 2 inner together. i didnt get a chance to ask him why but he said the design was fine. but yea if it breaks at least it wasnt too expensive.

Steeles
08-13-2004, 08:27 AM
good stuff halo get it on the dyno and get pics of that orange glow :) was it alot more responsive? my stuff clears tranny and steering rack by a good amount but then mines S14 so eh who knows cant wait to get mine running again :)

edit; cot damn I cant type!

Var
08-13-2004, 09:53 AM
that pretty sick, Let us know when it breaks. *not being an asshole* seriously i wanna know how long it lasts.

sykikchimp
08-13-2004, 10:06 AM
got picks of what was modified to fit the steering column?

Mr. Badlose
08-13-2004, 10:29 AM
I think people have had success with using flex-pipe for downpipes to prevent cracking manifolds also.

Good lookin' manifold!

HaLo
08-13-2004, 11:33 AM
I'll take pictures tomorrow to show what was modified.

I plan on adding an extra bracket from the downpipe to the engine to reduce chances of breaking. anyways, it will break we all know that. :D

As for response, it's crazy how it helps. Though I am pretty sure that the elbow is the reason for it. The stock elbow is such a bottleneck!

tastyratz
08-13-2004, 12:46 PM
big heavy exhausts and solid non-flex downpipes kill aftermarket manifolds as badlose was pointing out. im gonna end up getting the ssautochrome mani for the rb25 when i get it so it should all be good :-) originally when i was considering sr i had an ss mani i picked up for it and it was sweet. good luck lets see how it goes! one thing id worry about cracking it more than anythign is that steering shaft however... make SURE you dont hit in the slightest now that its changed because that might kill ya.

nightwalker
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
4 cylinders fire 1-3-4-2. Cylinder 4 and 1 are companion cylinders, and 3 and 2 are companion cylinders.

My friend also has the same setup. Combined with his lightweight flywheel and little gt25, his SR was really responsive. I liked.

HaLo
08-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Here are the pics requested

iNSTALLED MANIFOLD:
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0353.jpg
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0354.jpg
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0356.jpg

MODIFICATION TO ELBOW:
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/manifold/IMG_0355.jpg

crioten
08-14-2004, 11:00 PM
i just dont like that you have to modify it to make it work...but im weird :)

let us know how long it lasts...

Muzzy
08-14-2004, 11:17 PM
damn dude!! that thing jus looks smashed!!! looks super restrictive now. hhmmmm..i guess it seems to work. i would have considered the trust elbow but if this works well enough cool.

kuruptR
08-15-2004, 04:06 AM
its only the dump, shouldnt be that restrictive considering that the hole unit is bigger and has an added pipe for dump.

open dump would have been cool ;D

Steeles
08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
yeah I want a screamer pipe. maybe when I change turbos again. the HKS style dosent completely seal off the exhaust flow from the wastegate so cutting it open for open dump isnt an option :( but a damn good idea

ass15
08-15-2004, 09:56 AM
halo : I SKIPPED the bracket, cuz when you are driving your car, the manifold needs to expand, but if the bracket is there, then it won't allow the manifold to expand, therefore making it more prone to craking or damage...

that was my thing for not installing the bracket.

tastyratz
08-15-2004, 11:22 PM
any problems keepin boost steady crammin your waste dump that much?

Powashiftin
08-15-2004, 11:25 PM
is that a homemade STB?

HaLo
08-16-2004, 06:41 AM
No problems at all keeping my boost steady.... it's right on target.

It's a Tomei strut bar...

Bbandit
08-16-2004, 10:17 AM
LOL that elbow got owned :)

Looks nice Oktay! I hope you can beat PJ now lololol!
Im digging your strut tower bar(s)! what kind is it?

HaLo
08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
I need to adapt to the car, once again!!

It boosts harder and sooner, not to mention that it spools up quicker too... The car is very nervous now.... I need to adapt. :(

mrmephistopheles
08-16-2004, 11:40 AM
and you, were for some reason, NOT expecting that? :bowrofl:

tastyratz
08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
yea man i see why you put a :( because i HATE it when a car gets more power sooner and quicker. you poor guy having to adapt. now that you have been trying to build a responsive engine and it starts responding your a lost little soul :-) lol its nice to see a positive review of this though im glad you have the results you do...

HaLo
08-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Honestly guys, I wasn't expecting THAT much of a difference. It just set me back on my last auto-x event. I love how the car feels and how response is so better. I just didn't expect that much. So did my GF when she auto-x with it. She lost it twice on one run...

But all in all, 10 psi feels like 15 psi and with response of 7 psi. That's about the best way I can describe it... I will tune the car appropriately and put it back on the dyno, see how much I have gained since. Remember, I did 307 at the wheels at 19 psi with a Bee*R Type-III Exhaust (instead of my RS*R Ex-Mag). I think I can fork out 325whp... easily.

HaLo
08-16-2004, 04:04 PM
:bowrofl:

is that the roflcopter icon? :)

mrmephistopheles
08-16-2004, 05:58 PM
nah.. that's the : bowrofl : bowdown+rofl=bowrofl

HaLo
08-16-2004, 09:09 PM
We need to find you a roflcopter icon to laugh at people like me. ;)

95zilvia
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Bringing back an old thread.
I have the Greddy Turbo Outlet with the divorced chambers.
That thing hits my steering column as well, and when im making right turns, it REALLY makes the steering shaft vibrate a lot!.
The HKS style two chamber one I bought from SS AUtochrome doesn't even clear.

Anyone recommend one that doesn't require modifications to fit for a decent price?

And oh yeah, for sale:
Greddy Turbo outlet
Hks style turbo outlet

nismojunkie
12-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Halo,

What company did you get the manifold from, website, do they do a NA SOHC manifold?

meme
12-13-2004, 12:47 AM
http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/turbo_manifold/sr20det/177.jpg
http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/turbo_manifold/sr20det/sr20det_t25_t1.JPG

http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/turbo_manifold/sr20det/179.jpg

http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/turbo_manifold/sr20det/186.jpg

some pics of the support on mine. http://wasabigarage.com/img/pics/turbo_manifold/sr20det/187.jpg

i have used megan racing O2 pipes and they work real good. no mods needed. i have not used there manifolds though.

95zilvia
12-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Ok I guess I will buy a Megan Racing turbo outlet/o2 housing then.

s14slider
12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
The HKS and Greddy outlet pipes that have split chambers for wastegate and turbo WILL hit the steering column for one reason only. These 2 were designed for the SR20DET a few years ago when they were in RHD 180sx/ Silvias. Therefore, the steering column is on the other side, leaving plenty of room for an awesome design. I do believe that Greddy has a new one made to fit SR20's in USDM LHD 240's. All of the other companies that copied the HKS style did not know about this, hehehehehe, their R&D is a joke. Oh well, if Megan Racing clears, then I will get one as well.

RedSuns
12-14-2004, 07:42 AM
nah.. that's the : bowrofl : bowdown+rofl=bowrofl

i wonder where you saw that at...