PDA

View Full Version : SR20 in need of serious help....

Island.Guy
04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Hey guys!
New to your group, and decided to join since I recently bought a Silvia and have barely any experience with SR's but have some basic knowledge with motors. About a week after I bought my Silvia, it started to leak a fair amount at boost. Mostly from one side. I thought maybe it was VAlve cover gasket but no dice. The car still ran great! Hauled like it did when I first got it! But when Idling smoked white pretty heavily. I am in the middle of completely ripping the motor down to the bare bones. I'm hoping it's just a headgasket? Comp test read 3 at 130psi and 1 at 60psi. I really hope it's not piston rings. I'll get to the gasket this long weekend to take a look. Any thoughts would be great and much appreciated!!! Secondly, if piston rings, I'll upgrade to forged parts. Which brands? What else should i do if I'm going to get into rebuilding the motor and what can I possibly skip? I don't want to cheap out but I am no where near mr.money bags! Thanks in advance guys!!
Motor specs
Red top SR.
740cc injectors
Stock internals
Gt2860rs with modded 86mm comp wheel
Arp studs

Island.Guy
04-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Bump! Bump!

yitzac1990
04-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Depends what your budget is, really. I just spent over $4k fully building mine. that included:

forged pistons
darton sleeves
rods
all bearings
all studs
all machine work
valves
springs
retainers
Tomei solid head setup with Tomei 270 cams
probably some other stuff that im forgetting

Island.Guy
04-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Sweet Jesus, 4 K hey... Wow I hope it doesn't cost me that much I was hoping like 2500 max 3000. Did you do any of the work yourself ? Besides the machining part obviously.