PDA

View Full Version : Underbody rust...

Porschekid
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I just got a 1989 240sx spent $1100 on the car. The body was straight and rode nice and everything but I take it to get inspected and the unibody and shit under the car has rust holes and shit in it. Is this something you can ussually get fixed at a bodyshop or will it cost alot of money? I don't wanna spend more than $1k or so to fix it cause I want to invest alot of other money elsewhere into the car. I'm thinkin I got royally fucked.

S14DB
08-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Pics? Hard to tell how bad it is. Could be a patch or two or, could be a lot of labor.

Porschekid
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Two big holes (almost fist sized) near the front on the two rails going down the middle of the car. Small hole underneath the passenger floorboard. A little near the driver's rear wheelwell. I think the hangers for my exhaust broke off because of rust. There may be other small ones too. Other shit wrong is like brakes and suspension but that was gonna be replaced anyway... Hard to get a big project off the ground when you have these problems before you start. :-/

ftrs13
08-04-2004, 10:07 PM
sounds like you need 2 big patchs a little one, and some autoputty/other repair in the back. I had to patch up one big hole in the rail, and a small one drivers side. it should be cheap, I was able to do it myself

Porschekid
08-05-2004, 06:36 AM
sounds like you need 2 big patchs a little one, and some autoputty/other repair in the back. I had to patch up one big hole in the rail, and a small one drivers side. it should be cheap, I was able to do it myselfIs this something you are very good at? I see you arein the Pittsburgh area and I have no idea where I should go to get this fixed...

aznpoopy
08-05-2004, 07:26 AM
iirc...

for rust holes i think you need to cut out the section that is rusted (include all surrounding rust in the piece you cut out of the car). then you need to weld a new piece of metal in place. doens't have to be super pretty.