PDA

View Full Version : S13 Rear End Mystery Noise

pacotaco345
02-21-2015, 03:50 PM
So long story short my car started making some weird noises from the rear end about a month ago. I've replaced both axles (one had a torn boot, the other was just 25 years old) and swapped out diffs (the welded that was in it had broken welds). Now there's a fresh diff and 2 new axles in the car and I'm still getting the same noise. If it helps narrow it down any the car makes the most noise when I'm turning. Any ideas? I've given the subframe a once over and I didn't see any cracks but I'm not positive...

short-shifter
02-21-2015, 05:04 PM
have you checked the wheel bearings?

pacotaco345
02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
have you checked the wheel bearings?
Wheel bearings are both good

OLDSCHOOLRICE
02-21-2015, 08:28 PM
What kind of noise?

How did you rule out the wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings can be noisy/worn without having play.

Ilya
02-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Driveshaft carrier bearing

pacotaco345
02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
What kind of noise?

How did you rule out the wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings can be noisy/worn without having play.

The wheel bearings don't have any play in them and its a clunking noise not a constant whine. I've had wheel bearings go bad before and this is a completely different noise. It sounds like the rear end *thunks* every time the wheel makes a rotation.

pacotaco345
02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
The sound is coming from further back than where the carrier bearing sits.

Ilya
02-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Exhaust hitting the tow hook?

Two jack stands in the rear plus a wedge in your throttle body while the car is in gear might be your best bet

pacotaco345
02-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Exhaust hitting the tow hook?

Two jack stands in the rear plus a wedge in your throttle body while the car is in gear might be your best bet
Nah its a clunking noise not a rattly droney exhaust noise. Honestly it sounds like I should be able to feel it in the car (if that makes any sense) but there's no feel associated with the noise, just a solid clunk every time the wheel goes around.

As far as the jackstands thing goes, I think that's what I'm gonna end up having to do. I'm just not too fond of laying underneath a running car lol.

ModernMars
02-22-2015, 01:26 PM
I had a clunking noise, then my axle snapped off of the output shaft of my differential. Only really made the noise when I started moving from a stop

adey
03-04-2015, 09:04 AM
brakes look clean/clear and good?
egg-shaped tire? (or flatspotted them/one doing a long handbrake into a drift?)
all nuts and bolts back there tight and torqued? Do any maintenance back there recently?
Loose coilover nut?

pacotaco345
03-05-2015, 03:25 PM
brakes look clean/clear and good?
egg-shaped tire? (or flatspotted them/one doing a long handbrake into a drift?)
all nuts and bolts back there tight and torqued? Do any maintenance back there recently?
Loose coilover nut?

I went and worked on the car last weekend and couldn't find anything. Everything on the driveshaft was fine, every suspension arm was tight, brakes are good and the axles are still new. The tires are complete shit but I know the noise isn't coming from that. I got ANOTHER diff to throw at the car because at this point its the only thing I could think to be broken still. We'll see.

g2ic02
03-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Coil over hitting a wheel weight? Which direction turning does it make the noise? Both directions

jedi03
03-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Could be diff bearings....diff bolts...sub frame bolts/bushings...there's a lot back there...

pacotaco345
03-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Coil over hitting a wheel weight? Which direction turning does it make the noise? Both directions
Coils aren't anywhere close to hitting the wheels and the noise doesn't always occur, its just there most of the time. I don't drive very far in reverse but I imagine it would still make the noise going backwards.

Could be diff bearings....diff bolts...sub frame bolts/bushings...there's a lot back there...
Spent close to two hours last weekend checking every single nut and bolt remotely related to the subframe and everything is tight. At this point I'm pretty sure I just happened to replace a broken diff with another broken diff, but I've been pretty sure the other 3 times I replaced stuff back there so I guess we'll find out.

fatduece
03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Interesting mystery you got going on. Keep us updated.

pacotaco345
03-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Interesting mystery you got going on. Keep us updated.
Will do, here's a pic so you guys can laugh at me in the mean time. Don't street drift kids.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/pacotaco345/549582F8-1999-4E55-B4DA-72A3AAC559E3_zpsqycvwnhv.jpg

racepar1
03-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Does it make any difference which direction you're turning? It could still be a wheel bearing, if the race or one of the balls has a flat spot. The ONLY way to COMPLETELY rule out the wheel bearings is to remove the axles and brakes and turn them by hand with nothing connected to them. With all the weight/drag connected to them you'll never be able to feel any roughness while turning them. Also, have you drained your gear oil from the diff to check it for metal debris. It could have a broken tooth on the ring/pinion or one of the side/spider gears.

EDIT: I see you replaced the diff. It is nearly impossible that you replaced the diff with another one that has the EXACT same problem.

pacotaco345
03-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Does it make any difference which direction you're turning? It could still be a wheel bearing, if the race or one of the balls has a flat spot. The ONLY way to COMPLETELY rule out the wheel bearings is to remove the axles and brakes and turn them by hand with nothing connected to them. With all the weight/drag connected to them you'll never be able to feel any roughness while turning them. Also, have you drained your gear oil from the diff to check it for metal debris. It could have a broken tooth on the ring/pinion or one of the side/spider gears.

EDIT: I see you replaced the diff. It is nearly impossible that you replaced the diff with another one that has the EXACT same problem.

The noise seems to be louder when I'm going around a left turn (but it also makes it turning right and occasionally straight), it doesn't have to be a sharp turn; for example if I took a left that I could comfortably take at 100 mph at 40, it would still make the noise. I tried to simulate conditions by putting the car on jackstands and running it in gear with the ebrake slightly up to introduce some load but I couldn't make the noise happen.

As far as the diff goes, that's what I was thinking but I've literally exhausted every other possibility so I don't know. I picked up another welded for $40 so it seems like the cheapest part to troubleshoot right now and if it doesn't work I can sell the one that's in the car now.

racepar1
03-05-2015, 09:47 PM
The noise seems to be louder when I'm going around a left turn (but it also makes it turning right and occasionally straight), it doesn't have to be a sharp turn; for example if I took a left that I could comfortably take at 100 mph at 40, it would still make the noise. I tried to simulate conditions by putting the car on jackstands and running it in gear with the ebrake slightly up to introduce some load but I couldn't make the noise happen.

As far as the diff goes, that's what I was thinking but I've literally exhausted every other possibility so I don't know. I picked up another welded for $40 so it seems like the cheapest part to troubleshoot right now and if it doesn't work I can sell the one that's in the car now.

If it's louder going around a left turn then check your right rear wheel bearing. The outside wheel is loaded heavier when cornering so if a bearing has an issue it will be louder. It won't make any significant noise on jackstands because the bearing isn't loaded. I've heard all sorts of funny noises like what you describe from wheel bearings. If you've exhausted all other possibilities then pull the hub and check it. Hell, I could yank a rear hub in like 15 minutes. The trick is get a 19mm swivel impact socket.

pacotaco345
03-05-2015, 11:34 PM
If it's louder going around a left turn then check your right rear wheel bearing. The outside wheel is loaded heavier when cornering so if a bearing has an issue it will be louder. It won't make any significant noise on jackstands because the bearing isn't loaded. I've heard all sorts of funny noises like what you describe from wheel bearings. If you've exhausted all other possibilities then pull the hub and check it. Hell, I could yank a rear hub in like 15 minutes. The trick is get a 19mm swivel impact socket.

If the second diff doesn't solve the problem the next thing I'll do is pull both hubs and check them over. I REALLY don't want it to be a wheel bearing because I don't feel like cheaping out on that and an OEM one is about $150 but we'll see. Both sides passed the jiggle the wheel up and down test so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone's insight btw! Crazy how if you post a question legitimately hasn't been asked/answered on zilvia you get knowledge instead of trolls lol.

racepar1
03-06-2015, 10:14 PM
If the second diff doesn't solve the problem the next thing I'll do is pull both hubs and check them over. I REALLY don't want it to be a wheel bearing because I don't feel like cheaping out on that and an OEM one is about $150 but we'll see. Both sides passed the jiggle the wheel up and down test so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone's insight btw! Crazy how if you post a question legitimately hasn't been asked/answered on zilvia you get knowledge instead of trolls lol.

Just get a good quality aftermarket bearing if that's the issue. Rockauto has a Timken one for $78.79...

anti tyler
03-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Have you ran anything over recently? Might be a little far fetched but you could have broken loose one of your subframe studs.

I did that in an old hatch and took me a year to find the rear end noise.

pacotaco345
03-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Have you ran anything over recently? Might be a little far fetched but you could have broken loose one of your subframe studs.

I did that in an old hatch and took me a year to find the rear end noise.
As in one of the studs that the subframe itself bolts to? I'm not gonna say that I'm 100% sure that's not the problem, but I'm 99% sure it isn't lol.

I currently have a whole mess of suspension parts ready to put on this thing (not all related to solving the noise), just waiting for a day where I have the free time to waste 5-6 hours working on it.

pacotaco345
03-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Went and worked on the car yesterday, meant to both throw on the new FLCA and swap out the diff but I ran out of time. I'll swap diffs sometime this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

pacotaco345
03-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Another update for you guys. I threw another diff in the car but I haven't been able to drive it yet. Reason being I put extended FLCAs on the car and my fronts rub the fenders now. While I was attempting to pull the bolt on spacers off I rounded 3 of the stupid little nuts that hold the spacers on and now they're hoplessly stuck to the hubs. I've tried drilling them off, hammering etc and nothing works.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get these stupid things off? I'm about to just buy a pair of new front hubs and brake discs to throw on the car...

racepar1
03-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Another update for you guys. I threw another diff in the car but I haven't been able to drive it yet. Reason being I put extended FLCAs on the car and my fronts rub the fenders now. While I was attempting to pull the bolt on spacers off I rounded 3 of the stupid little nuts that hold the spacers on and now they're hoplessly stuck to the hubs. I've tried drilling them off, hammering etc and nothing works.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get these stupid things off? I'm about to just buy a pair of new front hubs and brake discs to throw on the car...
Air hammer w/chisel bit, or maybe weld another nut to the rounded ones. The second option really depends on how much clearance you have...

slider2828
03-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Try heating up just the nut and use locking pliers. See how that goes..

Is the car super low? maybe its the angle of the axles causing some binding.

robinsone
03-24-2015, 11:18 AM
I'd drop the subframe and look at your subframe bushings, sounds very similar to a bad subframe bushing that I had, that wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe. I mean it is more than 20ish year old rubber. My clunking wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe and saw it was a bad bushing. If you have checked everything else, but haven't seen both sides of those subframe bushings, that'd be my guess.

jedi03
03-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Snapon makes some nice reverse rounded nut removers...I got mine for around 100 there should be something similar available through Napa or similar

pacotaco345
03-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Air hammer w/chisel bit, or maybe weld another nut to the rounded ones. The second option really depends on how much clearance you have...
Unfortunately the cars in a storage unit so I'm limited to non power tools/working relatively quietly so my storage lady person doesn't come yell at me :/

Try heating up just the nut and use locking pliers. See how that goes..

Is the car super low? maybe its the angle of the axles causing some binding.
Cars super low but it just started making the noise one day, literally one moment perfectly quiet and fine, the next it was clunking like a motherfucker. That makes me think that it wasn't from the car being too low...

I'd drop the subframe and look at your subframe bushings, sounds very similar to a bad subframe bushing that I had, that wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe. I mean it is more than 20ish year old rubber. My clunking wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe and saw it was a bad bushing. If you have checked everything else, but haven't seen both sides of those subframe bushings, that'd be my guess.
Car has solid bushings in it.

Snapon makes some nice reverse rounded nut removers...I got mine for around 100 there should be something similar available through Napa or similar
I tried those, while they work great for normal sized nuts (hehe) they don't work too well on the thin nuts used for bolt on spacers. There just wasn't enough to grab and I ended up busting a nut.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order new hubs. Even though I'm a broke bitch its worth it to me not having to fight tooth and nail to get those others off.

racepar1
03-25-2015, 10:41 PM
The hubs are 5-lug right? I'll buy the old ones off you, shipping would be a BITCH though, LOL!

pacotaco345
03-27-2015, 11:11 AM
The hubs are 5-lug right? I'll buy the old ones off you, shipping would be a BITCH though, LOL!

If you want them haha $60 and I'll split shipping with you :2f2f:

robinsone
03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Those hubs might fit into USPS Priority boxes. I've shipped a pair of hubs that way before and the weight limit I think was 75lbs, so if it fits it ships for relatively cheap. Don't quote me on the size of the box though. I know for a fact USPS has been shrinking the size of the Priority boxes over time to save money. Just a thought

pacotaco345
04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Update on the og problem:

Finally got my spacer/hub situation sorted out so I could drive the car, and the noise is still there.

Things that have been replaced:
Diff x2
Both rear CVs

Things that have been checked:
Every nut/bolt for tightness
Wheel bearings (no play up/down/side/side)
No bent suspension arms
Subframe (visually) inspected for cracks around diff cradle

1) Noise is in sync with rotation of the wheels, not rotation of the driveshaft.
2) Noise only really occurs when turning (almost never present when driving in a straight line)
3) Even with solid everything, you can't "feel" the noise, only hear it

murffy
04-06-2015, 10:48 AM
It's sounds like your running two long cv axles instead of one short and one long like it should be...it sucks but your gonna have to go back in there and check that..I can't remember if the driver side is longer..but a quick google search should help out..almost certain this is the problem

inferno s14
04-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Seized rear calipers?..bent/worn rotors?....happened to me with clunking noise.

pacotaco345
04-07-2015, 10:59 AM
It's sounds like your running two long cv axles instead of one short and one long like it should be...it sucks but your gonna have to go back in there and check that..I can't remember if the driver side is longer..but a quick google search should help out..almost certain this is the problem
I'll check that this weekend, the axles are brand new though and I didn't have an issue installing them so we'll see...

Seized rear calipers?..bent/worn rotors?....happened to me with clunking noise.
Nah, I checked to see if the calipers were all tight and there's no sign of abnormal wear unfortunately

lovethatpssh
04-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Could it be the muffler mount hitting metal mine makes a noise but not all the time amd couldn't firgure it out until my buddy was driving behind me and said my muffler was moving a lil but and it was a mount had came off

jedi03
04-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Who put your diff together and is it an lsd? Sounds like my 2 way and 1.5 way do...If is open may be out of spec on the gears

IROYLE1
04-07-2015, 04:42 PM
I assume is a loose suspension arm.

jedi03
04-09-2015, 05:40 PM
That's alot more likely but it sounds like he has looked at all external components...

pacotaco345
04-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna try a wheel bearing either this weekend or next and see what happens...

pacotaco345
04-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Replaced the driver side wheel bearing and its still making the noise, might try the passenger side as well but I don't think the noise is coming from that side...

c-los13
06-27-2016, 08:45 AM
any updates on this?

pacotaco345
06-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Yes actually, I put two known good used OEM axles on the car and it solved the problem. Moral of the story, don't buy Autozone/OReilly axles

Agamemnon
06-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Yes actually, I put two known good used OEM axles on the car and it solved the problem. Moral of the story, don't buy Autozone/OReilly axles

I suspect this is my issue as well. Noticed it after going to poly subframe and diff bushings. Clunking sound coming from driver side when getting off the throttle. Glad you found the problem.

STR8 H8N
10-27-2016, 01:52 PM
So long story short my car started making some weird noises from the rear end about a month ago. I've replaced both axles (one had a torn boot, the other was just 25 years old) and swapped out diffs (the welded that was in it had broken welds). Now there's a fresh diff and 2 new axles in the car and I'm still getting the same noise. If it helps narrow it down any the car makes the most noise when I'm turning. Any ideas? I've given the subframe a once over and I didn't see any cracks but I'm not positive...

muffler bearings ?