PDA

View Full Version : Pbm rear drop knuckles problem!!! Help!

Your240sucks
02-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Looking to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with the Poweredbymax
Rear drop knuckles ( with z32 dual calipers.)
This is the first time I ran into an issue with a product of there's

My calipers don't bolt up fine.
They stay crooked to the point it hits my disc.
I have tried to space it out with washers and stil same problem.
It seems as if they welded it crooked.
Here are some pics so you can get an idea of what's going on.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a551/S14johny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb2049690.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/S14johny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb2049690.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a551/S14johny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps09aa0cc7.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/S14johny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps09aa0cc7.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a551/S14johny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd925f27d.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/S14johny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd925f27d.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a551/S14johny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf8cdc2ce.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/S14johny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf8cdc2ce.jpg.html)

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a551/S14johny/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps24f9e586.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/S14johny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps24f9e586.jpg.html)

TheRealSy90
02-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Did you contact PBM yet and let them know what's going on?

NJs13_1993
02-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Did you make sure you ordered the right one? They make a type for dual z32 brakes and a type for stock footbrake/wilwood handbrake

Your240sucks
02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Did you contact PBM yet and let them know what's going on?

Talked to them today .
Just want more pictures and possibly going to swap them out for new ones

Your240sucks
02-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Did you make sure you ordered the right one? They make a type for dual z32 brakes and a type for stock footbrake/wilwood handbrake

Yes the one for the wilwood does haven't 4 "ear lobes" (brackets)
It has 3 it's a very distinguish difference and we ruled that out already.

az_240
02-10-2015, 09:56 PM
HA same thing happened with my PBM rear knuckles. Brake caliper mounts were crooked and it made my rear brakes drag like crazy. They ended up giving me a discount on the forged front knuckles (which fit perfect) but wouldn't do anything about the messed up rear knuckles. I ended up bending the tabs the best I could but they are still not right. I was going to eventually swap them out for some other knuckles.

Your240sucks
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
HA same thing happened with my PBM rear knuckles. Brake caliper mounts were crooked and it made my rear brakes drag like crazy. They ended up giving me a discount on the forged front knuckles (which fit perfect) but wouldn't do anything about the messed up rear knuckles. I ended up bending the tabs the best I could but they are still not right. I was going to eventually swap them out for some other knuckles.

They claim this was the first time they heard about something like this.
they are hand made so I guess that's what sucks.
I have there front knuckles and didn't have a problem either

az_240
02-10-2015, 11:48 PM
^Well then I'd say they are lying or you dealt with a rep that wasn't familiar with the issue (I was PMing Dan at the time).

A good friend of mine has these knuckles on his S13 and didn't have this issue we're having. Only issue he's had with PBM is his latest gen rear suspension links were incredibly tight going on the knuckle. We had to spread the "forks" with nuts/bolts to get them on. I've got the same PBM rear suspension links and didn't have an issue, they slid right on as they should.

I'd keep bitching until you get new ones honestly. Wish I would have done that instead of taking the discount.

Your240sucks
02-11-2015, 12:07 AM
^Well then I'd say they are lying or you dealt with a rep that wasn't familiar with the issue (I was PMing Dan at the time).

A good friend of mine has these knuckles on his S13 and didn't have this issue we're having. Only issue he's had with PBM is his latest gen rear suspension links were incredibly tight going on the knuckle. We had to spread the "forks" with nuts/bolts to get them on. I've got the same PBM rear suspension links and didn't have an issue, they slid right on as they should.

I'd keep bitching until you get new ones honestly. Wish I would have done that instead of taking the discount.

Ahhhh that may have been the problem . I spoke to tommy. Wich he is being real cool about. Sounds like I might be getting new ones but I'll wait for the response tomorrow. regardless I haven't even put a single mile on these they are brand new I don't think I'll take the loss and get stuck with these.
I really hope they can upgrade the rear knuckles!

I'm guessing people are having issues and not speaking up on it.
Another problem I had was the thread was stripped on the knuckle where the coilover bolts up I decided to just fix it. Lol

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully they can see this and realize I'm not the only one with the problem

R2RO
02-11-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm currently installing these on my car, so if I have any problems all post them up here

az_240
02-11-2015, 12:31 AM
Another problem I had was the thread was stripped on the knuckle where the coilover bolts up I decided to just fix it. Lol

The threads were pretty bad on mine as well... I ran a tap through em and it's good now so figured no big deal. Looks like we just ended up with a bad batch.

Your240sucks
02-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Looks like I'll be getting new ones.
Just sucks the downtime on my car.
Gotta take them off again.
ship these to them and wait on new ones!

PhoenixENG
02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Have the same problem with mine. Wildwood/s13.. Had to drill out the holes, I've also seen the stud that goes through the bottom of the coil break. It's welded and should be 1 machined piece... Same shit with the caliper tabs, they could've been integrated into the 'knuckle plate' and milled down but they're welded to cut cost.
Being hand made is not the issue. NOT clamping parts down in a REAL fixture IS a problem!

Your240sucks
02-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Have the same problem with mine. Wildwood/s13.. Had to drill out the holes, I've also seen the stud that goes through the bottom of the coil break. It's welded and should be 1 machined piece... Same shit with the caliper tabs, they could've been integrated into the 'knuckle plate' and milled down but they're welded to cut cost.
Being hand made is not the issue. NOT clamping parts down in a REAL fixture IS a problem!

Dang that sucks!
Yeah they said they will come out with a molded rear knuckles like the front ones they have. Maybe that version will be one solid piece and will fix all the issues people are having.
What sucks the most is the downtime on my car now.

They still question on your work and think we aren't installing these properly!!!

Your240sucks
02-24-2015, 08:07 PM
to close this thread!
Pbm sent me ONE NEW ONE. That look almost as if they just hammered them straight.
They said this product is hand made so it will not be 100% .
I quote " it still going to be up to installer to dial it in"

that being said before you buy these expect to having to work with these, bending them spacing calipers out is going to be need.

i got stuck with missing an event, not having a car for a couple weeks, paying labor to remove the knuckles. Pbm never offered any courtesy discount or whatever!

Well moral to this post
F#CK POWEREDBYMAX!

az_240
02-24-2015, 09:28 PM
That sux... maybe the GKtech or version 2 pbm rear knuckles will be better.
I kinda felt the same way after spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to fix the ones I have and still couldn't get them right.

!Zar!
02-25-2015, 09:36 AM
You all forget modding cars is a hobby.

Aftermarket parts will never fit as well as OEM.

Hand fitting comes with the territory.

bill23500
04-10-2015, 06:59 AM
The threads were pretty bad on mine as well... I ran a tap through em and it's good now so figured no big deal. Looks like we just ended up with a bad batch.

When did you guys order yours? I ordered mine back in summer 2014 but did not receive them until fall 2014. I will be installing them later this month and will report if I had any issues.

Your240sucks
04-12-2015, 04:55 PM
When did you guys order yours? I ordered mine back in summer 2014 but did not receive them until fall 2014. I will be installing them later this month and will report if I had any issues.

I order mines maybe a coupe weeks before this post.
Don't be surprise if you have to hammer the sh#t out of them.
Pbm stated its "up to the installer to dial them in" but forget to mention them on the website

bill23500
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Yup I had the same issues. The calipers and rotor are rubbing. I called PBM and same response. Because they are hand built and not forged they are not guaranteed to fit, however it looks to be as if my holes need to be re-drilled for proper fitment. Honestly wish this would be mentioned somewhere on their website before you drop a good amount of money and wait months on months to receive the part. Also had multiple phone conversations with them before buying the drop knuckles and they did not mention fitment may be an issue. I did see GK Tech has some rear drop knuckles with dual calipers that are CAD designed and look that they should fit with no issues. Wish I had bought these instead of the PBMs.

Your240sucks
05-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Yup I had the same issues. The calipers and rotor are rubbing. I called PBM and same response. Because they are hand built and not forged they are not guaranteed to fit, however it looks to be as if my holes need to be re-drilled for proper fitment. Honestly wish this would be mentioned somewhere on their website before you drop a good amount of money and wait months on months to receive the part. Also had multiple phone conversations with them before buying the drop knuckles and they did not mention fitment may be an issue. I did see GK Tech has some rear drop knuckles with dual calipers that are CAD designed and look that they should fit with no issues. Wish I had bought these instead of the PBMs.

Every customer complains but they always say "first time I hear about this".
Dirtbags

yzrider450f
05-08-2015, 07:52 PM
to close this thread!
Pbm sent me ONE NEW ONE. That look almost as if they just hammered them straight.
They said this product is hand made so it will not be 100% .
I quote " it still going to be up to installer to dial it in"

that being said before you buy these expect to having to work with these, bending them spacing calipers out is going to be need.

This is absolute BS! When you buy a new part there is an understanding that it will fit properly.

They advertise "hand made" like its a benefit, and then they just turn around and use it as an excuse for a poor fitting product.

Bad business practice IMO and i've sure lost a lot of respect for them.

McRussellPants
05-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Because they are hand built and not forged they are not guaranteed to fit

thats so gnar

G-E@Z31P
05-08-2015, 11:18 PM
You all forget modding cars is a hobby.

Aftermarket parts will never fit as well as OEM.

Hand fitting comes with the territory.
That's not an excuse, I produce many custom suspension bits and I don't have fitment complaints...

I do basic checks on the parts when I get them from my various cutters/machinists/coaters, and keep a running defect percentage to budget for; I'm guessing 90% of the errors we're seeing would be visible to someone with a trained eye looking at it before it got shipped.

Yes it's unfortunate that they were badly made, but it should never be passed onto consumers either, that's just asking for trouble...

PBM has had an undeserved "gold" reputation for too long in my opinion, but they obviously did care enough to maintain that reputation, why are they suddenly saying "too bad" ?

I don't get it.

Your240sucks
05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Well said^^^^

I wonder what the lifetime warranty covers since they come defective to begin with lol

hellaslows13
05-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Parts shop max service and quality went down the drain since they blew up. Business must be good. Spent over 4 grand with these guys. And their own workers dont even know shit about their product. When I first got my pbm rlca and pbm rear drop knuckle for my s14 I needed help adjusting them and the dude who answered the phone has no idea what he was talking about. I eventualy figured it out on my own.

fatduece
05-09-2015, 02:46 PM
That's too bad....I had hopes for pbm. Good thing I a aw this post. I will not buy pbm.

Your240sucks
05-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Slowly my car will have all Pbm parts removed.
Sucks I invested so much In there products.
But as for the Kouki im building for my girlfriend it will have 0 Pbm parts!!!!

s2kwazy
05-10-2015, 10:49 PM
holy shit. I was about to place an order for their coilovers. But since they dont stand behind their products and arent willing to help out when they fail, I'm not so sure I want to deal with them.

Guess that means tein drift specs or whatever lol

juhd
05-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Slowly my car will have all Pbm parts removed.
Sucks I invested so much In there products.
But as for the Kouki im building for my girlfriend it will have 0 Pbm parts!!!!

if you decide to sell them, i might be a potential buyer lol

sincity_sil80
05-11-2015, 12:10 AM
Haha love how the ad thats running at the bottom as im reading this thread is pbm's. I have their coilovers and they are a suuper tight squeeze to fit on the knuckle, as somebody else mentioned i had to space it with a socket to install them. I surprised no representatives for pbm have chimed in to save face?

corby_baby
05-11-2015, 07:10 AM
thats so gnar

this :keke:

nighthawk48
05-11-2015, 07:13 AM
they're coming out with cast version of the rear knuckles...that should lower the variance in quality through-out mfg process. If you think about it it's bound to happen if you have a guy welding these from scratch day in and out at huge order numbers

hellaslows13
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I personally have had a good experience with the products in terms of quality control. Just wished they had a more knowledgeable team working their email and phones.

Teambadrun
05-14-2015, 12:24 PM
how hard is it to weld them straight. Surely the guy isn't holding them with his hand when they're welded on but what can you expect from China

SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike
05-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Ive got there rear drop knuckles and max pro coils. Nothing but good things to say about the coils. Drop knuckles installed just fine and i had to use the provided washers to space out my calipers. Ive seen other brands dual caliper brackets and they all require you to space out the 2nd caliper for proper fitment. HOWEVER there coils do not come with directions as far as mounting them on the rear mount with the spacers provided. I asked PBM multiple times what they recommend and all i got was if it were me i would cut the spacer down which they provided so the strut would sit flush on the lower mount. I installed them as provided without cutting the spacer and they seem to be holding up just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more from PBM but i do agree the customer service needs to be better as well as quality control and PART AVAILABILITY

LockOn!
05-14-2015, 02:02 PM
I love PBM, ran their coils on multiple cars but can't speak to the knuckles. It can be hard to get them on the phone but the times I have they have been nothing but helpful, really knowledgeable and willing to educate.

dizzariot
05-17-2015, 12:45 PM
...well their Cobra Flex downpipe is awesome. Past that I wouldn't use them for shit. I had the RLCA on my FRS and they were on my car for barely a couple months before the shitty coating had them covered in surface rust. I got them replaced by the owner but I had to take multiple pictures and try to convince him to swap me out for some new ones that were coated properly. Instead he just had the shop re-coat them but I still had to drive to their shop to drop them off and pick them up. Tommy is a nice guy but he (unfortunately) doesn't run the show.

Teambadrun
05-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Our S13 had the PBM knuckles that we use in the Thailand Drift series and the brake pads are totally chewed out on angles, literallly on one angle is it down to metal and now damaging the disc, and on the otherside of the pad, its like new. PBM surely are welding these brake tabs on and not checking them after welding "assuming" its going to be straight after all the heat is pumped into these knuckles as they are TIG welded, the knuckle itself looks pretty but luckily we switched GKTECH's new knuckles in that car and now our brake problems are solved, plus a heck load more traction sideways, the car even feels much better drifting, its just so much more predictable, the PBM is just a small drop knuckle, the arms and so on are in the same spot, which created driveshaft clearance problems, CV boots were being replaced allot because they were touching the camber arms !

az_240
05-18-2015, 09:28 AM
^The GKtech knuckles corrected this??

I have the same problem....camber arms hitting the axle boots.

GKTECH
05-21-2015, 08:37 PM
^The GKtech knuckles corrected this??

I have the same problem....camber arms hitting the axle boots.

Yes, the gktech knuckles have further clearance for axles (the batch 5 revision have even more) and we weld our knuckles in a jig, not by eye. They will absolutely not differ unless our fabricator is either drink-welding, is sleep-welding or doesn't bolt down the brackets to the jig. If he does manage any of those 3 things, we would replace the knuckle with a brand new one without question.