PDA

View Full Version : New Builder seeking advice

CPT
01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Hello guys, I plan on building up a S14 this year and have been pricing out and trying to determine what power-plant to go with. I understand a lot of this comes down to budget and preference but I am looking for some input from the pro's (people who have done these swaps) :)

To cut to the chase I am looking to build a 400-450 HP/tq Project car

I chose the S chassis because of the abundance of suspension parts/ there seems to be quite the community to back me up if I even need help with something.

I am stuck between a V8 swap (most likely an Lq4 or something from the Nissan family) or an Rb25det

Am I correct in thinking with upgraded injectors/fuel delivery system and possibly a larger Cooling system along with an ecu tune the RB25det would get me up to my desired power rage relatively reliably?

Thinking of going with a Nistune for my tuning software.
Any firsthand use with this?
Would you recommend it?
The price is definitely right lol

What brand/cc/lb Injectors would you guys recommend
(I read that essentially you should shoot for 1cc per hp desired
with that said I figure somewhere around the 500cc mark should be great and leave me with a little bit of play)

Tomei: is a little more than I would like to spend...
Deatschwerks: Any experience with them?
Any others?

I would prefer to stick with the stock sidefeed (Unless there is a reason not to)

Thanks ahead of time for the input guys!

Tom N
01-23-2015, 01:45 PM
A n/a LS would be the most reliable. Not necessarily the cheapest though.

Side feed injectors are fine for that power level. Plenty of people use Deatschwerks injectors with out issues.

CPT
01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
A n/a LS would be the most reliable. Not necessarily the cheapest though.

Side feed injectors are fine for that power level. Plenty of people use Deatschwerks injectors with out issues.

Thank you for the quick reply, I was looking into a Ls style(lq4=Iron block LS)
and its relatively the the same price, I figure its going to be about $3500+ to get the car running and driving at 100%(engine wise)

As far as drive-ability goes would one drive/handle better than the other?
This would come down to weights of each correct?

Sorry like I said earlier this will be my first build and I am still constantly noobing

I intend on tracking the car in auto-x. So Most likely the car will be going 0-45/60 mph most the time.
I really have no ambition of taking the car past highway speeds.

That being said I would like to focus on a fast/quick 0-60 time

Tom N
01-23-2015, 01:58 PM
No way I would put a heavy LQ4 iron block in the front of that car unless you were looking to make crazy hp. You can find the 5.3 aluminum LS motors for cheap and a regular LS1 for reasonable these days also. I would get the LS1 if I was staying NA.

GregS13grist
01-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I would think how the car moves and drives would have to do with what specific engine is installed as well as suspension components.
I.E., some engines are heavier than others and produce a different kind of balance to the chassis than an SR or KA would. The JZ, RB, LS are all more cylinders and heavier than their stock counterparts, resulting in a heavier front end, especially with JZ and LS (iron blocks).
Either way, the s chassis can perform extremely well with all of these swaps.

CPT
01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I would get the LS1 if I was staying NA.
And if you planned on boosting in the future?

Also what are they generally going for?

Which LS would you use for my application (quick/nimble) mid level 400-450 hp/tq

GregS13grist
01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
If you planned on boosting and you're gonna have that much weight in the chassis anyways, you might as well go with an RB or JZ. Then again, I'm partial to inline sixes with big ol' turbochargers :)

CPT
01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
If you planned on boosting and you're gonna have that much weight in the chassis anyways, you might as well go with an RB or JZ. Then again, I'm partial to inline sixes with big ol' turbochargers :)

I don't mind all motor but honestly I have no experience with forced induction and I would really like to learn.:l101:
Plus the Rb swap seems to be a bit on the cheaper side but not by much.

I currently have a V8 Rx7, haven't tracked the car yet so cant really speak on the cars handling and I know the S-chassis will handle differently that that even but just contemplating potential candidates for a power-plant.

Would there be noticeable turbo lag if I was to go up to 450 Horse on a rb25 with the stock turbo?
Would a new turbo be necessary to eliminate that spool up time?
Again sorry for noobing guys

laurentj23
01-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, I was looking into a Ls style(lq4=Iron block LS)
and its relatively the the same price, I figure its going to be about $3500+ to get the car running and driving at 100%(engine wise)
ime

:keke: you kidding right?

CPT
01-23-2015, 02:28 PM
:keke: you kidding right?

What part boss
:ugh:

laurentj23
01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Find me a ls swapped running 240sx done right for 3500 and ill buy it right now

CPT
01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Find me a ls swapped running 240sx done right for 3500 and ill buy it right now

I was talking about the parts them selves, without the rolling chassis/shell car.:2f2f:

laurentj23
01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Like i said if you can find an ls swap that cost 3500, let me know. Full mountkit from sikky or fueled cost 2875

slideslidegnarslide
01-23-2015, 08:12 PM
you would need to upgrade the turbo on the rb25 to make 400+ hp. Are you factoring that into cost?

mechanicalmoron
01-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Like i said if you can find an ls swap that cost 3500, let me know. Full mountkit from sikky or fueled cost 2875

I think he meant an iron block motor costs 3500.

I believe that a large marine anchor affixed to the crossmember would be a more economical way of achieving the same results.

joe3180
01-24-2015, 12:16 AM
heres a write up on injectors. you might find some good info

http://www.sr20forum.com/technical-information-library/142897-inj-size-whp-output.html

livelovesole
01-24-2015, 02:14 AM
If your mainly looking to autox then you dont really need 450ish hp ( personal preference ). If I were you, I'd focus on suspension, wheel/ tire combo, brakes, and build a responsive motor as opposed to higher power. The ls motor ( whichever you choose ) is a good choice, bunch of power and torque ready whenever even if you keep it na, but you have to factor in that building one of those setups isnt cheap if done right. Rb's are good too but can get expensive pretttty quick. With cams, injectors ( preferbbly 740s + ) larger fuel pump and a bigger turbo with a tune can get you to your goal. It all comes down to budget.

Croustibat
01-24-2015, 02:17 AM
(At least) double your swap budget, one way or the other. going RB means turbo, programmable ECU or nistune, manifold, intercooler, injectors, various piping and all, probably a rebuild on the route too because no one sells a GWO engine like that.

Going LS means also spending a lot on chassis brace and transmission, and a GWO T56 will set you back at least 2000$. Going truck LS also means buying new accessories, and if manual it means flywheel, clutch.

Your swap is more likely to cost in the 10K range ( if you want a reliable one, but this is zilvia so i am preparing for a lot of "i did it for a nickel in my garage" )