PDA

View Full Version : My clutch is at it again.

Shin_Kudo
07-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Some of you may remember that my first clutch burned up in three days of normal driving. Well, my new one is now beginning to slip badly and burn. I know that my driving can't be at fault, so it must have been something wrong with the transmission swap. However, my mechanic blames it on me, as do my parents.

So I need either someone, or a shop, who is experienced with 240s, to take a look at my transmission and clutch, and help me figure out what's wrong, both to fix it and to prove my mechanic wrong. Can anyone help me?

kandyflip445
07-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Has your flywheel been checked? Take a look at the clutch plate if you still have it and look for uneven wear. Check to see if there is a taper. Also check to see if the clutch is fully engaging and the lines are bled well.

Shin_Kudo
07-28-2004, 05:42 PM
It's a new flywheel, the last one was destroyed along with the clutch.

Anyway, though, I have no way of looking at the new stuff, it's still installed in my car. My suspicion was that maybe the clutch wasn't fully engaging, but my mechanic insists thati's not a possibility.

Brian
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
does it smell like burning clutch when you drive?

Flybert
07-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Adjust the pedal, remove the dampener and bleed the clutch line.

Shin_Kudo
07-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Something just occurred to me. Is there any hardware that is supposed keep the transmission cool? It seems to me that the clutch is fine when the car's been sitting for an hour or two, but as it heats up, it starts to slip, and is especially bad if the car is run for 15 mins or so, thrned off, than restarted within 10 or 20 minutes. Maybe whatever is supposed to keep it cooled isn't working? Also, maybe there is something that cools it only when the engine is on? One time, up in the hills, it began to slip badly, after about 15 mins of sitting after a run. Stopping and letting the car idle seemed to resolve the problem. Maybe this could have something to do with something?

As for the solutions, here's the problem, I have neither the tools, the shop, or the knowledge to do it myself, that's why I'm looking for someone who knows WTF they're doing.

TheSparo
07-28-2004, 10:57 PM
maybe its a hydraulic problem, make sure by bleeding and replacing the slave/master cylinders ($30)

240sxconversion
07-29-2004, 09:33 AM
when u say that you are using a new flywheel, u mean like brand new or used by someone else, because if it is brand new, it has a chemical to stop it from rusting, and if u dont use brake cleaner to take it off, it will cause u to burn clutches because its a lubricant and it just causes the clutch to slip, might wana check into that

kandyflip445
07-29-2004, 11:39 AM
The best way to do this is take it to a competent shop and ask them to look at the guys work. Also if he used grease to put the TO bearing he might have used too much and it slung off and contaminated the clutch, if there is oil it might be the rear main seal.

Shin_Kudo
07-29-2004, 07:36 PM
when u say that you are using a new flywheel, u mean like brand new or used by someone else, because if it is brand new, it has a chemical to stop it from rusting, and if u dont use brake cleaner to take it off, it will cause u to burn clutches because its a lubricant and it just causes the clutch to slip, might wana check into that

It's a refurbished flywheel. That could be the problem, though.

Still, I'd like to take it to a competent shop, but I have no idea how to find one, as any shop will claim to be masters of the trade. That's why I'm asking if someone can reccommend me a good shop in the LA area.

Siizzzoooo
07-30-2004, 03:24 AM
clutch is probably not fully disengaging, check the pedal for play

mrmephistopheles
07-30-2004, 04:12 AM
note: any competent shop will make necessary pedal adjustments. If properly installed, NO clutch will burn out. If there is a problem with hydraulic system, the shop will know about it and let you know.

my $1 bets that they fucked up the install.

kandyflip445
07-30-2004, 12:42 PM
my $1 bets that they fucked up the install.

I second that.

You should make a poll about if we think he fucked up or not and we'll all vote that he did and then show your parents. Then tell your parents that we are all certified techs. :p

mrmephistopheles
07-30-2004, 05:13 PM
we may not ALL be certified techs, but my experience as a mechanic at Nissan and my firsthand experience in diagnosing and repairing 240sx clutches says that I'm probably correct.