PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my f*%$@# car start right?

toddnappi
07-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Every time I go to start my car, I just get the dreaded "click" sound. This will happen for 15-20 times before I hear the familiar cranking sound, and then my car starts fine. It has no other problems other than this, but it drives me insane!

It used exhibit the same problems, but the battery was dead after every use. I took it to a shop, and they tested everything. I had recently replaced the starter and battery, so I knew both of them were OK. They said the alternator was fine and found a few short circuits. They charged me $170 and didn't even fix the problem completely. Now, the car will eventually start, it just takes 2-4 minutes.

So it's not the alternator, starter, or battery. I have a bad feeling its some hidden relay which I'm never going to find and I will have to deal with this forever.

I have a pretty heavy sound system, but I don't think that's the problem as it is all installed correctly and has a capacitor to help ease the electrical flow. I've tested it without the stereo hooked up and it exhibits the same problems. I have a Jacob's Electronics ignition system, which I have also disabled to no avail. My spark plugs and wires are pretty old and I think the wires are seized onto the plugs (I can't remove them with the normal force).

Any ideas, please help! Also, if anyone is local in South Jersey and feels like helping out, I will pay if you can fix it! I can't pix up chicks in a car that doesn't start. They immediately think its a hoopdee.

Todd

ftrs13
07-25-2004, 05:02 PM
try the solenoid, thats what makes the clicking when your battery is dead.

chineseb0i
07-26-2004, 04:15 AM
one time i was messing with the battery..took the terminal off and put it back on and tried to turn on my car but it was the click click click sound..then my friend looked and saw my relays/fuses were lose since i the terminals pushed it somehow. He unpluged and repluged them..making sure they were in all the way..that was the problem. Check ur relays..make sure they are on good and not loose. Besides that..i'm not sure about ur clicking. Possible starter motor going out.

sciamop
07-26-2004, 08:47 AM
If he installed a new starter, than it's not the solenoid.

I installed a starter off my parts car because I had the same problem. Guess what? It still does the same thing. Granted, I've never heard the parts car run so I'm not sure if the starter worked properly before... but it seems odd that they both exhibit the same behavior.

Where does the starter solenoid ground to on the E models? My parts car is a DE and there is a ground wire on the passenger shock tower. I have a feeling that the ground point is either loose, dirty or corroded.

Todd

drifterx
07-26-2004, 10:08 AM
try to turn off ur radio like 3 mins before you get home.... maybe your battery is just drained really low from your system

Heartwork
07-26-2004, 10:25 AM
could be a loose ground wire from your starter, or try the Clutch Interlock relay from your fuse box...

idlafie
07-28-2004, 03:35 AM
Hi,

Every time I go to start my car, I just get the dreaded "click" sound. This will happen for 15-20 times before I hear the familiar cranking sound, and then my car starts fine. It has no other problems other than this, but it drives me insane!

It used exhibit the same problems, but the battery was dead after every use. I took it to a shop, and they tested everything. I had recently replaced the starter and battery, so I knew both of them were OK. They said the alternator was fine and found a few short circuits. They charged me $170 and didn't even fix the problem completely. Now, the car will eventually start, it just takes 2-4 minutes.

So it's not the alternator, starter, or battery. I have a bad feeling its some hidden relay which I'm never going to find and I will have to deal with this forever.

I have a pretty heavy sound system, but I don't think that's the problem as it is all installed correctly and has a capacitor to help ease the electrical flow. I've tested it without the stereo hooked up and it exhibits the same problems. I have a Jacob's Electronics ignition system, which I have also disabled to no avail. My spark plugs and wires are pretty old and I think the wires are seized onto the plugs (I can't remove them with the normal force).

Any ideas, please help! Also, if anyone is local in South Jersey and feels like helping out, I will pay if you can fix it! I can't pix up chicks in a car that doesn't start. They immediately think its a hoopdee.

Todd

You check your ignition switch? It's possible the contacts on the START position of your switch could be going bad. I had this problem before on my S14 and ended up practically replacing everything on the starter circuit before I realized that I never tested my ignition switch. Go to test the switch and lo & behold...it was the friggin ignition switch!!! @!#$%^!....
Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID
'95 SE