PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain swap, need to make sure my cam timing is right

sifu dinan
07-24-2004, 11:18 AM
I have an '89 240 with a KA24E. I've been working on the timing chain replacement this weekend and I'm on my way to putting the engine back together.

I've been told that those two silver chain links will line up with the right points on both the crank and the cam gear so I get the cam timing right. Unfortunatly I already put the timing cover back on and I didn't put that one silver link on any particular point on the crank gear. Should I take the timing cover back off and readjust that or is it any easy enough job to put the crank at TDC then match the cam to it?

I figure just moving the cam until the intake valve on the #1 closes that should put it at TDC, but will it be exact? For how many degrees do both valves stay closed? Are those two silver links crucial in lining up the cam? I'd rather not have to take that all off again because it would mean walking a couple miles to NAPA and buying more RTV.

Is there a surefire way to line the cam properly, ie is there a notch that should definately be pointing somewhere when it's at TDC to match with the crank being at TDC for the #1 piston? I don't want to take the timing cover off if those silver links won't help me at all.

Thanks for any help.

deviousKA
07-24-2004, 12:38 PM
crankshaft key and the camshaft pin should both be at 12 oclock, in relation to the deck of the block not the car.

sifu dinan
07-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I have noticed that the engine kinda leans to the driver's side a bit....always thought that was a bit weird.

So as long as both of those notches are at 12 oclock my timing should be dead on, right?