PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power after 75%~ throttle...

z0iid
07-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Im not sure how else to describe it. Turbo sounds fine unless I floor it - then it sounds like it is struggling.

I dunno, maybe because of the extra air it needs to compress (in the fmic)?

Basically stock sr20 setup. except hks intake and greddy fmic.

Sound normal?

People who drive it say it feels fine, that it feels and sounds like it would in a new turbo'ed car - no boost spikes or anything.

Doesn't feel right to me though.

Anyone else even know what I am talking about?

Pepperoni
07-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Since when have you started to notice this?

Dutchmalmiss
07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
i get the same thing. feels stronger with a light touch, but when i slightly mash on it, it's a bit slower.

Red
07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
I have been working on tuning my car...

I found that when I was anywhere from 50% to about 75% throttle the car would run at 12/1 afr and when I hit 100% it would drop to 10/1 killing my power... I have tuned that out most the way... but I still need to play with it allot.

This could also be the problem you have...

MELLO*SOS
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi

I don't have an sr20, but I have this exact problem on my ka24de. It feels like it pulls stronger with 90% throttle from 2k-4k. At 5-6k it feels normal. Occassionaly, it will fix itself for a few minutes.

I've changed the plugs, cleaned the MAF and checked out the TB... I'm thinking it could be a bad MAF or TPS; although since my timing chain is rattling, I've heard that it can cause the cams to "float"... I don't know how true that is, but it could account for the feeling I'm having in my car.

Oh yea, everyone else (including the mechanic) who drives the car insists that it drives fine and "pulls good".. :duh:

sr240mike
07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
It could be you have a boost leak and the turbo is struggling to keep the boost up, or the turbo bearings are starting to go. The ecu could be detecting knock and is sending it into the safety maps which kills power, but that wouldn't explain the turbo sound.

z0iid
07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
u said..

I found that when I was anywhere from 50% to about 75% throttle the car would run at 12/1 afr and when I hit 100% it would drop to 10/1 killing my power... I have tuned that out most the way... but I still need to play with it allot.

what do you mean by tuned that out most the way? timing, ecu, boost controler....elaborate

Red
07-22-2004, 02:59 PM
ummm all of the above...

I have the E-manage and E-01... So I just change it while I drive...

So yeah I change everything... I'm still changing stuff...