PDA

View Full Version : Another rusted out 240sx question

firejackal
11-10-2014, 06:52 AM
So I've been looking into getting a 240sx for a while now.
Because at the moment I have too many cars (91 Honda crx, 99 Honda civic si, 94 ford thunderbird v8 lx) I was going to keep my crx (it's rusted out as well, but I don't care, I love it) but either sell or trade the 99si.

I came across a guy who was selling a 91 240sx hatch project with rb25det and a gutted convertible who was interested in my car.

I went over to look at the hatch, it had rust on a spot next to the front cross member (correct word?, the beam under the engine), rust at the front jack spots, on rear wheels area rust at the bottom on both sides. In the engine bay area it had holes cut out of the sides for a cold air intake, so what's left around those spots are thin. Then the front piece which the hood latches to has been bent a bit from perhaps a minor accident (nothing else seems to be bent besides that.)
It needs a lot of love.

So I don't know if that rb25 is worth it just by itself if I traded for the hatch, I was told it use to be running. But my 99si is a running car, no rust spots, no damage, it does have a rebuilt title due to theft in its early years.

I know how to work on cars, and I'm not too concern with a scraps and scratches on the body like this 240sx has (no busted windows). So what are your guy's opinions?

My plans was to strip the car down, work on various spots, protect other spots from from spreading, self paint job, then turn the car into a dd. And maybe track it on a few days. Only thing it need I was told is a battery and a bov. But I paid $3500 for my 99si and probably put $1000 in it from rebuilding the engine and other things, so I don't think I'll get my money worth it from the trade.

Frank_Jaeger
11-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Doesn't sound worth it to me. chassis is basically junk and the motorset isn't running. There's nothing redeemable about the car. Sell your car and buy a clean unmolested 240 to start with.

firejackal
11-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Frank_Jaeger, that's what I was thinking myself but I was making sure there wasn't something I was missing that may have made it worth it.

Rusker
11-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I'd personally hold out for something better.