PDA

View Full Version : sputtering noise at high boost

sepulchral
07-18-2004, 12:56 PM
i drive an sr20det i hear it every once and a while in high boost, i checked the bolts to the xhaust manifold, to the turbo all appear fine,

could it be turbo death?

KA240SX808
07-18-2004, 05:07 PM
What kind of BOV you got?
HKS SQBOV?

Projekt_Sil80
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
how much boost you running? Possible fuel cut, you running stock fuel pump?

sepulchral
07-18-2004, 11:44 PM
NOOo its not fuel cut or anything the car still builds boost but as it boosts (14psi) itll make random tick tick .... tick .... tick tick noises like theres a bolt loose or something

or a small exhaust leak

what else could it be?

kidinthehall
07-19-2004, 12:26 AM
its the sound of you killing your engine.

Id SERIOUSLY suggest you do some research on the words "detonation" and "preignition"

Pull your spark plugs, and see what they look like. check for any small specks on the ceramic and ground strap. A compression test might not be a bad idea either.

sepulchral
07-19-2004, 07:34 AM
i know what detonation and preiginition is, its not that at all, damn i wish i could describe my problem better

Bbandit
07-19-2004, 09:25 AM
maybe its your turbo gasket....
Im not sure what kind of sound it makes...
If the sputters sound like (i cant really describe it), like you're shooting flames or something... prolly its your blow off valve. I had this sputter sound on my ka-t and I found out that my bov was stuck open at higher rpms.
If its more like a tick tick sound, prolly its your gaskets.. either, turbo gasket, manifold gasket, or maybe exhaust gasket.
I have this tick2 sound too when my engine is cold around 2000-3000rpm... and I found out that my wastegate (external) gasket is bad and it takes a while to heat up and expand to where the point it closes the leak.

sepulchral
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
bandit i just rpelaced my turbo inlet gasket, the old exhaust manifold gasket was in two pieces but still sealed it it was like cut down the middle, u think that could have overtime broken apart more?

goodjuan
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
i say manifold to turbo gasket. It seems like the most simple answer. It doesn't take much of a broken seal to make a whole lot of noise.

I don't think it's detonation becuase the noise he's describing seems to be regular.

Bbandit
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
you're still using the oem paper gasket?
If so, then the answer is yes it is possible.
Mine burned a week after I put em in. Now Im using copper manifold gasket.

sepulchral
07-19-2004, 07:11 PM
hey buddy i said i alread put turbo to manifold gasket in ... brand new one... and incase nobody knows its called a 300zx twin turbo inlet gasket i got it from nizzan dealership

bandit where can i get copper gasket ?

kidinthehall
07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
hmmm....... "it makes a random .....tick........tick tick.......tick...tick..." noise is a nice way to describe detonation, not an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks arent exactly randomly generated noises.

anyway.......assuming your problem is the manifold to cylinder head gasket, just get another factory replacement carbon/paper style gasket. dont bother spending $40 on a copper gasket if you are competent enough to clean off a surface and properly torque a manifold. If you arent...........

Too many people (myself included), run stock and stock replacement gaskets with no problem, under pretty severe conditions to justify getting a copper one.

sepulchral
07-19-2004, 11:11 PM
kidinthehall.. im telling you i know what detonation is, i had a turbo honda... :duh: its a leak of some sort lol..

anyways two thumbs up :bigok:

peace

Bbandit
07-19-2004, 11:21 PM
He said his stock gasket splits in half before he put it in.
Im just saying might as well put copper and not worry about it anymore.
plus you can re use the copper gasket. its onl 20 bux, instead of keep buying the paper gasket IF it burns again.. who knows.

but wait, you have an SR... damnit... I dont know who sells sr copper gasket

here's where I got mine (for my ka)
http://www.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=20831&makeName=nissan&modelName=240sx&modelDetailName=All+Types&yearName=1991&majorDescriptionName=All+Groups&categoryName=All+Categories&engineConcat=&displacementName=Select+Displacement&engineSizeName=Select+Engine+Size&fuelTypeName=Select+Fuel+Type&fuelDeliveryName=Select+Fuel+Delivery+Type&vqName=Select+Vehicle+Detail&aspirationName=Select+Aspiration&brandName=All+Brands

kidinthehall
07-20-2004, 12:21 AM
i wasnt saying that you dont know what detonation is, just that the way you described it made it sound like that was what you were hearing.

make sure your nuts havent backed off at the turbo to manifold flange........it seems to be pretty common, especially if you didnt get the little brackets bent around the nuts tight enough.

sepulchral
07-20-2004, 11:15 AM
im not gunna screw with it until something major happens lol.