PDA

View Full Version : KA tranny to SR motor?

SkylineDriven
07-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I have this humming/whining/rubbing noise whenever I depress the clutch all the way and I am in gear and the engine is revving over 1500 rpm (at startup and sometimes if iI am coming in/out of parking lot). At NICO they said it was a bearing that is going bad on the input shaft. i had a friend locally confirm this because he had the same problem in his civic and had to have his tranny rebuilt.

Rather than rebuild, some suggest just getting a KA tranny and swapping the bell housings. I'd like to ask you guys opinion on this. Is it OK to use the KA tranny? Will performance suffer, get better, or stay the same. What bout reliability? Has anyone on these boards done it before?

mrmephistopheles
07-16-2004, 10:21 PM
it's ok. it's pretty much all the same.

TheSnail
07-17-2004, 12:28 AM
I have heard the ka tranny holds more tq then the sr. This might be bs though, I dont know. What I do know. is that I did do the sr to ka tranny swap before. When my old sr tranny's tranny fluid started to look like Mercury, if figured it was time for it to pass on. So I went around to the side of the house and picked up a ka one. Once I unbolted the sr's outside tranny bolts, conecting the bell and tranny, and undoing the five small bolts in the bell housing as well as taking off the two C clips in the bell housing, It was time to seperate the two parts. After trying to pry it apart, screaming like a bitch at every attempt, it became ovious that it was not budging. Next I grabed a pathetic little hammer, and tryed banging the bell housing off, nothing. Then I found the real big daddy hammer laying around the garage. I started wacking it harder then viewing some xxx, and still no matter how hard I was wacking it, I didnt get to see the bell housing splurge on the floor, but in stead I looked like an angry monk ringing a bell, an it will sound like a bell when you wack it. I was pissed off now, then I saw a sledge hammer in the corner. I picked that bitch up and lined it up for the blow. I gave it a pathetic wack, and the crap seperated. It was easy as crap. 20% effort with the sledge hammer and it broke it free. So then you want to go to the oposite side of the bell housing and tap it. Keep switching sides tappin that ass. So now with the sr bell housing ready it was time to do the same to the Ka. To separate the two parts took me 45min, but then since I knew the process and had the sledge hammer, the ka one took 10min to do. This is a big thing: TAKE OFF the shifter. Unlike my dumb ass that left it on, on the ka. With the ka gears naked and exposed, The tranny was shifted by accident. DO NOT SHIFT THE STICK WHEN ITS NAKED! No matter how much you want to touch it. Well, I must of not been able to resist touching it, so I ended up locking the tranny. After about 15 minutes of putting on sealent and bolting it together. I Go to shift it an its stuck. This SOAB! I pull out the sledge hammer. So Im sitting here wacking the stick, and soon realise its not going anywhere. I then went inside and got a 12oz Sprite, then went back out in the garage. I unbolt the tranny an start over. I again go around the house and pick up another tranny. Then I do the whole process over once more. I go to shift it, and the SOB only goes in 1st and 2nd ! DAMIT ! I look at it again.. Ka24e, DAMIT! DO NOT USE A KA24E TRANNY, ONLY USE DE! ! ! unless you only like doing 0-60's. SOB... so I go in and get another sprite, then jump in the car an drive by work to pick up another tranny. DE this time. On the third combo and 3hrs of messing with trannys, I go to shift the bastard, and it cound not of shifted better. Smooth yet krispy. The tranny is great, I sold the sr since, but Im sure it would last many years to come. Well all in all, what I ment to say was, "just use a ka24de tranny", but maybe you will use some of my pointers and start off by using a sledge hammer, unlike my retarded monk ass, also put the tranny in nuetral, then take off the shifter, all before you take apart the tranny.
-Snail

doainwpg
07-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I thought the SOHC & DOHC have the same tranny?

Ghettokracker71
07-17-2004, 03:04 PM
I thought the SOHC & DOHC have the same tranny?

Me too? I know you can run the SOHC trans on the DOHC engine.

SHIFTrl240
07-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I have heard the ka tranny holds more tq then the sr. This might be bs though, I dont know. What I do know. is that I did do the sr to ka tranny swap before. When my old sr tranny's tranny fluid started to look like Mercury, if figured it was time for it to pass on. So I went around to the side of the house and picked up a ka one. Once I unbolted the sr's outside tranny bolts, conecting the bell and tranny, and undoing the five small bolts in the bell housing as well as taking off the two C clips in the bell housing, It was time to seperate the two parts. After trying to pry it apart, screaming like a bitch at every attempt, it became ovious that it was not budging. Next I grabed a pathetic little hammer, and tryed banging the bell housing off, nothing. Then I found the real big daddy hammer laying around the garage. I started wacking it harder then viewing some xxx, and still no matter how hard I was wacking it, I didnt get to see the bell housing splurge on the floor, but in stead I looked like an angry monk ringing a bell, an it will sound like a bell when you wack it. I was pissed off now, then I saw a sledge hammer in the corner. I picked that bitch up and lined it up for the blow. I gave it a pathetic wack, and the crap seperated. It was easy as crap. 20% effort with the sledge hammer and it broke it free. So then you want to go to the oposite side of the bell housing and tap it. Keep switching sides tappin that ass. So now with the sr bell housing ready it was time to do the same to the Ka. To separate the two parts took me 45min, but then since I knew the process and had the sledge hammer, the ka one took 10min to do. This is a big thing: TAKE OFF the shifter. Unlike my dumb ass that left it on, on the ka. With the ka gears naked and exposed, The tranny was shifted by accident. DO NOT SHIFT THE STICK WHEN ITS NAKED! No matter how much you want to touch it. Well, I must of not been able to resist touching it, so I ended up locking the tranny. After about 15 minutes of putting on sealent and bolting it together. I Go to shift it an its stuck. This SOAB! I pull out the sledge hammer. So Im sitting here wacking the stick, and soon realise its not going anywhere. I then went inside and got a 12oz Sprite, then went back out in the garage. I unbolt the tranny an start over. I again go around the house and pick up another tranny. Then I do the whole process over once more. I go to shift it, and the SOB only goes in 1st and 2nd ! DAMIT ! I look at it again.. Ka24e, DAMIT! DO NOT USE A KA24E TRANNY, ONLY USE DE! ! ! unless you only like doing 0-60's. SOB... so I go in and get another sprite, then jump in the car an drive by work to pick up another tranny. DE this time. On the third combo and 3hrs of messing with trannys, I go to shift the bastard, and it cound not of shifted better. Smooth yet krispy. The tranny is great, I sold the sr since, but Im sure it would last many years to come. Well all in all, what I ment to say was, "just use a ka24de tranny", but maybe you will use some of my pointers and start off by using a sledge hammer, unlike my retarded monk ass, also put the tranny in nuetral, then take off the shifter, all before you take apart the tranny.
-Snail

that is some funny shiat :hahano:

TheSnail
07-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, I guess you can use the ka24e tranny. My friend convinced me it wasnt my falt but rather blamed it on the ka24e. I must of screwed that one up some how in the process aswell. You ought to try with a e tranny to see if it will work or not. I was not able to get it to work, and I was extra carfull not to mess it up. My friend must of grabbed the stick when I went inside to get a sprite. I use to think the trannies were the interchangable, but after the sr/ka swap I was convinced they were not, but now I think they are and that I may have screwed it up in the process. Erase my "DONT GET KA24E TRANNY" from your heads. It is probably bs and I screwed up. But we will know for sure when the next guy tries to swap the two.

-Snail

TheSparo
07-17-2004, 11:34 PM
you got PM Snail