PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting door panels off!! s13

kcolyer27
07-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Well i want to change my front speakers so i need to get the door panels off. Can someone help walk me through it? I got all the bolts and screws off just dont know what else to do. Is there a trick on how to pull it off?

Wei240
07-12-2004, 11:26 PM
make sure you have the screw in that thingy where the power windows (that is if you have power windows) out, get the door handle frame thingy out, aside from that, there should only be another screw neer the hinge

just plop it out, they are held in place by a bunch of clips, after you hear multiple pops, lift and you're done

Wei240
07-12-2004, 11:27 PM
oh yeah, start from the bottom when pulling the panel

kcolyer27
07-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help. I will be trying this out shortly.

augimatic
07-13-2004, 10:24 AM
also, hold the door handle open when you pull the panel off, that handle doesn't come off, if you have a window crank you have to pop the clip off under the crank but you can also just put the clip on the crank and pop it back on when you're done, it's real easy.

kingsol
07-13-2004, 10:33 AM
and once you get all the screws off, don't be scared pulling the panel off because all that's left are the clips which ususally won't break.

kandyflip445
07-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Just wondering, what kinda speakers are you putting in?

augimatic
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't know about him but I'm just going with Pioneer 4x6, I think they are like 50 watt, got em for 49.00 at best buy.

kcolyer27
07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Some sony speakers. The ones that are in their are shit

Wei240
07-13-2004, 11:31 AM
get 6.5's in the front, that's what i have, it'll fit, unless it's some really phat ass speakers with some phat magnet that'll prevent the windows from rolling all the way down

kandyflip445
07-13-2004, 11:32 AM
NOOOOOO. What ever you do don't go back to stock sizes. Go to Home Depot and guy some 1/4"-1/2" MDF and trace the speaker assembly onto it and cut it out with a jigsaw or router. Drill holes for the bolts. Then cut out a 6 1/2" circle. WAHLAH! Now you have a new speaker mount with speakers that won't sound like ass no matter how much you spend on them. If you wanna get fancy get a 1" hole saw mark your door panels and drill a whole for some tweeters and go buy some components like I did. MUCH BETTER.

kcolyer27
07-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Got the door panels off with no problems. thanks for all the help i also painted the carpet that was on the door. Ill post pics if i get a chance. I was going to just take the tweed off but i deicided just to spray paint it with vinyl/ interior dye

kandyflip445
07-13-2004, 04:37 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW. You painted it? I guess I'll have to see the pic first.

z0iid
07-13-2004, 04:46 PM
I put the Infinity 5.1 Kappa perfect speakers in - 5.25 in the original spot, 1" tweeter near where the door hinges. As good as these speakers are - they are a b!tch to install.

The crossover is so damn big, it will interfere with window movement almost anywhere you put it (if you put it inside the door). When you do find a spot - the question is how do you secure it so that it doesn't move and rattle?

I put crazy glue on the back of mine and glued it to the sheet metal. Also, unless you can create an astheticlly pleasing grill other than the stock one - you run the great chance of the speaker hitting the grill if you turn up the volume high. I suppose you could use thinner wood - but then the wood might rattle if the speakers are powerful.

I dunno...

kcolyer27
07-13-2004, 10:08 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW. You painted it? I guess I'll have to see the pic first.

Painted it black :) Im not a ricer!!! You cant even tell that it isnt a stock color i just wanted the interior to look more clean

kandyflip445
07-13-2004, 11:11 PM
I put the Infinity 5.1 Kappa perfect speakers in - 5.25 in the original spot, 1" tweeter near where the door hinges. As good as these speakers are - they are a b!tch to install.

The crossover is so damn big, it will interfere with window movement almost anywhere you put it (if you put it inside the door). When you do find a spot - the question is how do you secure it so that it doesn't move and rattle?

I put crazy glue on the back of mine and glued it to the sheet metal. Also, unless you can create an astheticlly pleasing grill other than the stock one - you run the great chance of the speaker hitting the grill if you turn up the volume high. I suppose you could use thinner wood - but then the wood might rattle if the speakers are powerful.

I dunno...

I have Infinity Kappa 6.5" in my doors. The MDF won't rattle. The door itself will rattle WAY before the MDF will. I cleaned the sheet metal and used heavy duty double sided tape to secure mine. I thought they were EXTREMELY easy to install. Of course I've done it before on other cars.... The only problem I had was I used 3/4" MDF for the brackets and the panel won't fully secure with that thick of a material. I'm going to make a 1/4" bracket soon though when I sound deaden the door. I actually am almost done sound deadening the trunk right now.

kazuo
07-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I also have 6 1/2 speakers in my doors (S13).

Run a search in this forum and you'll find a thread where we talk about this at length.. there's a nice how-to link in there as well.

4x6 is garbage and you should bash them in with a baseball bat ASAP.