PDA

View Full Version : short shifter woes (oil splash, installation)

Kingtal0n
09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey YALL @ ZILVIA - Car enthusiasts!!!

I got some Q's about various things, but lets start with short shifter.

I just bought a car with a short shifter installed. It looks very old.

I took it apart and noticed it was installed .... wrong. I think. The metal ring was on top of the plastic part instead of under it. And the bushing was gone (on the tip)

So I replaced the bushing on the tip with OEM nissan NP.

But now I re-install it... and I am not sure what order to put back the parts. I put it back nicely and it feels great, but there is still some play on top (if I pull the shifter up, it comes "out of it's seat" about 1/8")

AND

It sprays gear oil everywhere if I run the car through the gears...

So something must be done. Where did I fail short shifter school?

eek
09-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Not sure what type of short shifter you are installing but if its similar to a C's/Tomei one I referred to this: http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/short_shifter/index.html

Kingtal0n
09-17-2014, 04:38 PM
thank you!

It looks like I am missing #3 and #4, a gasket and some kind of spacer

Wish I had a picture of them, maybe I can make it, or order it.

g14novak
09-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for that link. I too recently replaced my shifter bushing and had the issue of car pissing tranny fluid everywhere when heavy on the throttle.

az_240
09-17-2014, 07:26 PM
If it's Tomei style then it sounds like you're missing the metal spacer circled below. Without it I had the same issues you're describing. For some reason most Tomei shifters I've seen for sale are missing this piece... There is another taller metal spacer that goes on the other side of the "ball" but that's usually included.
When I received my Tomei shifter I just took one of the rubber washers to Ace Hardware and found some nylon washers that were the exact size I needed. Stacked maybe 3 of those and it works great now with no play, loss of fluid or noise.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/livinglegendlll/_57.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/livinglegendlll/media/_57.jpg.html)

Kingtal0n
09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks, some of the parts look similar. I got it installed with whatever I had handy leftover, and it works great now. I made a little plastic cover out of an old CD-R to keep the gear oil from splashing out. And now I need to look up melting temperature of CD-R discs ...

I havn't measured the temperature of the transmission during operation long distance but I am predicting it exceeds 150*F. I also predict that it would not boil water, so it is below 212*F here at sea level most of the time. Some numbers to work with at least where none currently exist. I dont own a pyrometer or any fancy tools or specialty tools for that matter.

This is a temporary (1-3 weeks) fix, I will probably go back to OEM if I do not have to open the trans. Or if I install a different trans.

I need another one of those Wavy Rings I lost mine. I feel really bad I lost that. I thought for sure I had it but now I cant find it.

l adam l
09-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Man, I remember when I did my first sr swap...same thing happened. ..except I was so excited to drive the car I didn't put rubber boot or anything back on. I had gear oil everywhere, never could get that car to smell right again.

Dboyizmlg
09-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Man, I remember when I did my first sr swap...same thing happened. ..except I was so excited to drive the car I didn't put rubber boot or anything back on. I had gear oil everywhere, never could get that car to smell right again.

Lol, don't know why you made me laugh...

l adam l
09-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Lol, don't know why you made me laugh...

shit went in my face first time i got on it too lol :picardfp: