PDA

View Full Version : Hardline needs to be replaced? help

ghostuss
07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Well today, while doing my front z brake swap(after I finally got the right rotors) I kinda twisted the hardliness on the passenger side. I think I need to replace this or cut above the twised the spot and redo the tip etc. I am wondering where I can get those hardlines? You think any mechanic shop can repair those hardlines? What is my best option here? Thanks everyone.

WilloW
07-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Go to Napa auto, I think they make custome brake line (hardlines).

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 02:03 AM
oh thx bro. lucky NAPA is near where I live. Hope it's not too expensive.

kandyflip445
07-12-2004, 02:44 AM
If you have the pipe bending tool and a flare kit you can make them yourself and just buy the hardline with the fittings at an auto parts store. I don't know if they will do it for you at NAPA though.

WilloW
07-12-2004, 03:22 AM
If you have the pipe bending tool and a flare kit you can make them yourself and just buy the hardline with the fittings at an auto parts store. I don't know if they will do it for you at NAPA though.

That works too, the bending tool is $2.8x at Sears.

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Hmm i don't really need to bent it. I just need to cut the end and flare it really. IT's near the edge where it was twisted so just cut above that and put the nut in and flare the tip. I am just wondering if this is hard for myself since I never done this before and this is such an important part of the car.

One of my neighbor told me you can repair this yourself but make sure the cut is clean and stuff.

BTW, anyone know where I get the nut for the hardline. You know the nut connects to the brakeline? Cause I kinda stripped the nut also. (I was having trouble disconnecting the line from a stripped nut that's why I accidently twisted it)

WilloW
07-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but couldn't you just reuse the nut since you only fucked up the line? Looking at a picture of the S14 hardlinehttp://importnut.net/240pics/brake_upgrade/brakeswap094.JPG , it seems like the nut that you're talking about is loose on the line to slide around, so once you cut the twisted part off you could reuse it. Go to Kragen and rent yourself the flaring tool, cut the line, put the nut back onto the line, and flare it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Var
07-12-2004, 06:21 PM
wassup david...havent see you in a while. Come through on friday

mendozasport
07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
O.K. since we are talking about z32 brakes does any one have pics of where the bleeder is suposed to be (top,or,bottom)??????

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 06:38 PM
i thought it's always top. Oh VAR this sux so much dude. I need to find this stupid hardline and no one has it. Anyone know any totaled S14 around? I need the line that go from the master brake cylinder to the normal brakeline. The hardline.... for the passenger front. I am welling to pay like good money for this. Just help me find this.

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but couldn't you just reuse the nut since you only fucked up the line? Looking at a picture of the S14 hardlinehttp://importnut.net/240pics/brake_upgrade/brakeswap094.JPG , it seems like the nut that you're talking about is loose on the line to slide around, so once you cut the twisted part off you could reuse it. Go to Kragen and rent yourself the flaring tool, cut the line, put the nut back onto the line, and flare it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Yea the line CAN be reused but I never done any flares or cutting on the line before. Looks like this is my only option or find someone that just totaled their S14.

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 06:46 PM
oh also forgot. You know the nut on the line. It is stripped too. That's how I accidently twisted it, cause I was pissed at the damn thing lol. You think I can get some tools and repair the stripped nut? This nut is near impossible to find too.

mendozasport
07-12-2004, 07:06 PM
i know where there is s14's that we might be able to salvage brake line's p.m. me

msaskin
07-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Go to napa, bring the stripped nut. They'll have a replacement.

As for the line, you can either cut it and flare it, autozone loans out the tool to do this. Alternately, just buy a 48" or so section of hardline from napa/autozone/whatever, bend it using the loaned tool, and replace the entire line from the master cylinder down to the wheel well.

This is real easy stuff, I don't know why you're overcomplicating it so much.

~matt

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Go to napa, bring the stripped nut. They'll have a replacement.

As for the line, you can either cut it and flare it, autozone loans out the tool to do this. Alternately, just buy a 48" or so section of hardline from napa/autozone/whatever, bend it using the loaned tool, and replace the entire line from the master cylinder down to the wheel well.

This is real easy stuff, I don't know why you're overcomplicating it so much.

~matt

yea.. i am over complicating this since you can make it. I am trying to buy one instead cause I don't want to screw anything up since this is brake we talking about here. One failure while touge = accident if not death... So you see, it's either first time flare project by myself and risk my life, or buy another one and be confident about it. So I choose to search for the part first. I drove all around the town today but came up with nothing. I guess I'll probably have to do this myself if I want to have my car running anytime soon that is.

msaskin
07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
It's easy. The tools are real simple to use, the process is very simple. I don't see why people are so afraid of doing work like this.

~matt

ghostuss
07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
AHHh lucky me. I found a replacement. A friend that always talks to me on zilvia.net has this. He totalled his s14 awhile back while touge. I am so lucky. GOnna pay him 40 bucks for his trouble. I am not not afraid to do this, it's the feel you get after you finish the job... I will sleep better knowning this is replaced instead repaired by myself.

Var
07-13-2004, 11:18 AM
does he have a 5-lug for sale? pm me