PDA

View Full Version : Tranny replacement.

tak-
07-11-2004, 11:24 AM
My cousins auto tranny is slipping pretty bad. I am thinking of replacing it with one out of the junkyard. I however have never replaced an automatic tranny, I really dont know too much about the automatic transmission. I assume its going to be pretty straight forward, most of the work is done internally, however I want to be sure. Any special tools I will need? Does the gear shifter come out easy? Anything I need to know for conecting it to the engine? Whats in place of the clutch?

Forgive me, but like I said, Ive only replaces manual trannys, and a select few times at that. I have not a single clue how an automatic works.

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated, as I hate to run into unexpected problems 1/2 way through an install...you know how that is.

thanks

Pacman
07-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Since its a auto, isn't the torque converter the thing thats slipping since it acts like a cluth and wears out also?

sciamop
07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
SPECIAL TOOLS:
Get a breaker bar, a good length of pipe, 18"-21" extension for your breaker bar/ratchet, a swivel/u-joint adapter and a 14mm socket. You will use this combo to get the bellhousing bolts off.

PROCEDURE:
-- Car securely on jackstands, nitrile gloves on hands, proper lighting, etc.
-- Drain trans fluid.
-- On the underside of the car, there is a lever (IIRC, on the RH/passenger side of the trans), unbolt it. FYI, this is what's connected to the shifter inside the car.
-- In the same area there are 2 hard lines that go to the radiator. Disconnect them at the transmission.
-- Disconnect any wiring going to the transmission.
-- Unbolt the transmission brackets that go from the engine to the transmission. The black half-circle shaped plate should slip out.
-- You can now see inside the bellhousing. You'll see 4 or 5 bolts as you turn the crank (27mm). They attach the toque converter to the flex plate (replaces flywheel on auto cars)... so unbolt them (12mm?).
-- support the rear of the trans with a scissor jack (or transmission jack if you have one)
-- unbolt the rear bracket.
-- Lower the rear of the trans so you have a little room to get to the bellhousing bolts (connect transmission to engine).
-- using your extension unbolt the bellhousing bolts (you'll also unbolt the starter so make sure it doesn't fall on your head while you're working!)
-- support the front of the transmission with a floor jack.

You might need to unbolt the carrier bearing at the center of the driveshaft and I'm not sure if the driveshaft just falls out or if it's bolted on... I'd do another search on the forum for the procedure.

-- When you are satisfied that everything is diconnected, try to lower the transmisson. You might need to rock it a little bit to get the trans separated from the engine... make sure your jack(s) are positioned correctly.

TIME:
n00b -- 12 hours
keyboard warriors --.5 hours
average -- 5 hours

tak-
07-12-2004, 03:43 PM
thanks man