PDA

View Full Version : HELP!? Rear 300ZX parking brake cables?

AF240booster
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I did the 300ZX brake swap in the front and the back and the only real problem that I've run into is the parking brake cable. I followed the install that was detailed in the Sport Compact Car magazine and they left alot of important information out, :fawk: but I managed to figure everything out. In the magazine it says just too run the 300ZX bake cable through the subframe and mount it somewhere and it will reach. Well, that worked well for them because they were working on an S13, but I have an S14 and I don't know if the S14 is different than the S13 or if they just removed the gas tank and forgot to tell everybody, but my car has the gas tank hanging down right were they ran the parking brake cables through. If you look closely in the picture there's no gas tank on their car (S13) where there is one on my car (S14). Anyway, I finally got it to work buy running the stock 240 lines in the stock locations all the way back to the brake. Then I cut the 240 and the 300 cable and clamped and spliced and rigged and did everything I knew how to get them to hold together. Finally, I adjusted the cable up at the parking brake handle until it was nice and tight. O and I adjusted the parking drum brake out as close as I could get it with out rubbing. Yes it does work, but DAMN it looks GETTO AS HELL!! :wtf: and I don't know how much I trust clamping cable together .... especially in an emergency situation.

Does anyone know of a company or anyone who makes custom parking brake cables for this swap? Or does anyone know of anyplace that I could get to fabricate me up some decent looking parking brake cables? I can live with what I got for now but I'm just not really diggin the Getto Fabulous look.

Thanks in Advance

DJ_Sunrise
07-08-2004, 06:43 PM
hey man, not sure how it works.. i have a 300z brake setup 30mm all the way around. i have an s13, but the guy who installed them documented EVERYTHING perfectly. i have pics if you want them, sorry im not of too much help.. but it will show u exactly what has been done to the car. my aim name is anubiswh, but im not on there often. email me at [email protected] if u want them

~Sunrise

FoCaL
07-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I have an S13 and have Z brakes all around as well. I ran it through the subframe like SCC did and I had no problems. I did have to dremel a lot of the metal fittings off the Z cables because it would not fit between the subframe and gas tank like you mentioned. I also use some of the brackets the from 240 cable to secure the Z cables. I dont have any pictures but I need to change the oil so if you need me to I could take pictured while Im doing that.

Also I did look into making my own cables and found it to be difficult to find a good supplier for push pull cable that was willing to work with me. Since I was buying much cable they really didnt want to talk to me at all. I also could not find anyone locally which was what I really wanted. I had both cables uncut and wanted to walk in and say I need this cable with this ends and here is what Im talking about. Good luck in your search I finally gave up and took the SCC way.

If your worried about the cables coming apart. Id suggest going to a shop and having someone put some welds on your cable to hold them in place. May not be neat and look nice but it should work fine.