PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swap, wheels go backwards even in neutral?

Dithrain
08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Hey guys, I just finished a 5 speed swap. Problem is

A) my transmission only goes into 1st and 2nd; not 3rd or 4th (almost goes into 4th) and it doesn't even go right so I can put it in 5th or R.

B) it's on jack stands, and when I put it in gear, feather the clutch and give it gas, it stalls no matter what. (Almost like the brakes are applied.)

C) (this is the crazy part) even in neutral, the wheels are going backwards, at average reverse gear speed.

Anyone have any ideas? I did swap the ECUs and I have no CELs or anything.

maverickmotorsports
08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
there are 3 shift rods under the front cover plate.

maybe one of those somehow is stuck.

it's been a really long time since I've looked at an SR/KA trans but I know those can lock out gears and cause problems.

(left side of pic)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/duballstar37/IMG_0604.jpg

Dithrain
08-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Oh wow, I don't remember my tranny having anything like that. It's an s13 KA tranny, does that make a difference?

Def
08-04-2014, 05:35 PM
That's with the front input shaft cover off.

I'd pull it and see what happens when you put it in gear and rotate the input shaft. If it can't go into gears your trans is likely FUBAR.

Rustys14
08-05-2014, 03:57 PM
May sound silly but did you put the shifter shaft in backwards? I only ask because my drunk ass did that once and it caused most of the problems your describing. Sounds like the trans is bad but minds well start with the simple stuff...

Dithrain
08-08-2014, 07:17 PM
May sound silly but did you put the shifter shaft in backwards? I only ask because my drunk ass did that once and it caused most of the problems your describing. Sounds like the trans is bad but minds well start with the simple stuff...

No worries, I definitely put it in the proper position. I tried everything I could think of with the shift linkage/shifter area. I wanna say it's a bad tranny, but so many people have had this exact same issue. ><

dlemaregssr
08-08-2014, 07:18 PM
pull it and see what happens when you put it in gear and rotate the input shaft. If it can't go into gears your trans is likely FUBAR.http://goo.gl/EzvxlA