PDA

View Full Version : S13 DOHC gauge cluster problem has me stumped

zooopreme
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Hello everybody, so I've got a seemingly small problem that I am dealing with and after doing research and applying those methods, I'm frustrated because I'm still where I started.

To get you folks on track:

S13 is DOHC and it had a perfectly functioning DOHC gauge cluster
Removed DOHC cluster for modification and drove around without a gauge cluster
Bought SOHC cluster for spare parts
Removed gauge needles off both DOHC and SOHC gauge cluster (pulled the metal needles off too)--did not document the last position*
Put new painted needles in, plugged the harness back in, speedo read 15 mph at full stop, RPM not responsive, fuel and temp exceeded F (Full) and H (Hot).
Removed needles to calibrate and went to gas up
Put needles at: F (Full), midway point for temp, 750 RPM for idle, and 0 for speedometer. After driving, no response from any needles and temp and RPM gauge do not return to return position.
However, when the gauge cluster is plugged in: odometer still spins, gauge cluster lights work, AC and AC lights works, hazards/turn signals work, door chime still working, etc.

*real stupid move on my part

So yeah, nothing is moving at the moment except my RPM needle moves very slowly when applying and letting off gas--I revved the engine to a high RPM and the needle moved like a turtle.

Any ideas? Is the mechanism stuck or broken? How can I find the original or stock positions?

zooopreme
07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I tested out the SOHC cluster as well with the same gauge faces and got same results: lights work, turn signals, high beams, warning lights, e-brake light, etc. all work except for the gauges.

Forgot to mention that I checked the fuses and the wires to make sure and everything is fine. I guess I solved the mystery and need to get the mechanism that turns the needles fixed.

OnTheChip
07-30-2014, 03:33 PM
The DOHC tach gets a 0-5V signal from the ECU and the SOHC tach gets a 0-12V signal off the coil. That might explain some of your tach issue.

zooopreme
07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
The DOHC tach gets a 0-5V signal from the ECU and the SOHC tach gets a 0-12V signal off the coil. That might explain some of your tach issue.

Hm, I made sure (both times) that I was using the DOHC tach when testing to see if it was just the cluster itself that was busted.

racepar1
07-30-2014, 06:09 PM
I tested out the SOHC cluster as well with the same gauge faces and got same results: lights work, turn signals, high beams, warning lights, e-brake light, etc. all work except for the gauges.

Forgot to mention that I checked the fuses and the wires to make sure and everything is fine. I guess I solved the mystery and need to get the mechanism that turns the needles fixed.

The ONLY thing that won't work when using the SOHC cluster on the dualcam is the tach. ALL the other gauges should work. Either you screwed up both of your clusters or there's something wrong on the car side.

zooopreme
07-30-2014, 06:53 PM
The ONLY thing that won't work when using the SOHC cluster on the dualcam is the tach. ALL the other gauges should work. Either you screwed up both of your clusters or there's something wrong on the car side.

I'm definitely aware of this which eludes to my post before yours for which I made sure that the tach used for both clusters was a DOHC one.

Also, do read my previous post where I said that I checked the wiring and fuses and everything checks out just fine. So it can't be the "car" side.

Update:

Got the fuel gauge and the temp to work. The speedo and tach/RPM gauge are also kind of working.

What I mean is:

1.) the tach still revs slowly and then sticks
2.) the speedo does go up as I drive and goes down before I stop but very slowly

Driftwire
07-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Cluster is shot. Buy a DOHC one for like 20

racepar1
07-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm definitely aware of this which eludes to my post before yours for which I made sure that the tach used for both clusters was a DOHC one.

Also, do read my previous post where I said that I checked the wiring and fuses and everything checks out just fine. So it can't be the "car" side.

You should read the part of my post where I said "you screwed up both of your clusters"...

Having two different clusters fucked in exactly the same way is unlikely though, unless you pulled the same dumb move on both of them.

Cluster is shot. Buy a DOHC one for like 20

And DON'T TAKE THE FUCKING NEEDLES OFF THE GAUGES STUPID...

Cluster mods must add like 50hp or something.

dorkidori_s13
07-30-2014, 10:42 PM
i had a similar issue with my last car... check ALL of the wires (especially ground) going to the plugs in the dash harness. these wires are over 20 years old and will split VERY easily! i found my issue was the ground cable had split in half when i removed the cluster (i went from digital to analogue). the split ground cable caused the cluster to do all kinds of weird stuff! the dash/cluster harness unplugs at the main dash harness about a foot in. take it out and completely inspect it. the split in my ground wire was so small i couldnt see it until i spread the wires out!

zooopreme
07-31-2014, 09:44 AM
^Definitely will recheck those grounds, thank you, dorkidori.

Also, racepar1, thanks for trying. It was nice of you to reply with information that I already stated. Clearly, insulting other members makes you all the more helpful. I'll make sure that I "gain power" for my car from this.

ltionsipow
07-31-2014, 07:54 PM
The DOHC tach gets a 0-5V signal from the ECU and the SOHC tach gets a 0-12V signal off the coil. That might explain some of your tach issue.http://goo.gl/EzvxlA

racepar1
08-01-2014, 11:08 PM
^Definitely will recheck those grounds, thank you, dorkidori.

Also, racepar1, thanks for trying. It was nice of you to reply with information that I already stated. Clearly, insulting other members makes you all the more helpful. I'll make sure that I "gain power" for my car from this.

My point is that you should never, EVER......

...ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...

...EVER, take the needles off the gauges.

Serious question though. Did you do the same thing to BOTH clusters? Is there another car available for you to plug your cluster into just to be sure? Like I said before, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that both clusters have the same issue.

Want a cluster upgrade? Get a Stack unit. Replacing gauge faces is dumb...

zooopreme
08-02-2014, 02:53 PM
For anybody that wants to paint/color in their cluster's needles, you'll want to pull the gauge needle and not the metal pin that comes along with it. Delicacy is a must when putting the plastic portion back in. Calibration is a breeze if you leave the metal pin inside.

My point is that you should never, EVER......
...ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...
...EVER, take the needles off the gauges.

Serious question though. Did you do the same thing to BOTH clusters? Is there another car available for you to plug your cluster into just to be sure? Like I said before, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that both clusters have the same issue.

Want a cluster upgrade? Get a Stack unit. Replacing gauge faces is dumb...

I wanted red needles not different gauge faces. So I painted the needles and parts of the clear backing transparent red with Testors.

And yeah, I was able to test out both clusters on a different car and it worked. My speedo and tach on the DOHC cluster took a dump on me.

For daily driven car, a stack unit isn't needed.