PDA

View Full Version : interesting noise with more electric load...

aznpoopy
07-04-2004, 12:08 AM
recently when i turn on my headlamps i hear a strange pinging noise coming from the engine bay. haven't pin pointed it yet. on top of that, if i turn on my highbeams, i'll hear that ping get louder AND i'll hear a strange muffled noise. inside the car it sounds like its coming from the rear, oddly enough. getting out of the car and looking around its hard to say but i think i heard it in the engine bay. anyway this was done with the car stopped. since it only happens when i turn on more shit i think its maybe related to the alternator or something. the noises get even louder if i turn on the A/C. i'm not worried, but i'd like to have some clue of what it is... all suggestions are appreciated.

idlafie
07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
recently when i turn on my headlamps i hear a strange pinging noise coming from the engine bay. haven't pin pointed it yet. on top of that, if i turn on my highbeams, i'll hear that ping get louder AND i'll hear a strange muffled noise. inside the car it sounds like its coming from the rear, oddly enough. getting out of the car and looking around its hard to say but i think i heard it in the engine bay. anyway this was done with the car stopped. since it only happens when i turn on more shit i think its maybe related to the alternator or something. the noises get even louder if i turn on the A/C. i'm not worried, but i'd like to have some clue of what it is... all suggestions are appreciated.

Sounds like your electrical charging system may be about to crap out on you.Couple of things you might want to check.
1). Check your battery. Is it a maintenance FREE or LOW maintenance battery?? If it is a maintenance FREE battery you'll see either a blue or green "cell/eyelet " at the top of the battery. If it is a LOW maintenance battery, then you'll see some tabs on the top of the battery. Those tabs should either unscrew or pop off when you stick a small screwdriver underneath them & GENTLY pry them off. Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of distilled water in your battery cells to allow the battery charging process to continue.
http://uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq2.htm
If you are low water, try additioning some distilled water and see if it improves anything. If it doesn't then take your car battery out & take it to your nearest auto parts store & have them test the battery. Your battery may be dying.
2). If the battery turns out okay, then check the wires that connect to the battery. Take some baking soda & water & clean the connectors that connect to the battery. The white crud buildup on the terminals might be interfering with the charging process. Doesn't allow for a clean charge. Also see if the wires aren't corroded out due to battery acid eating away at them. If they are , replace the wires.
3). Check your alternator. Make sure the contacts & the regulator inside the alternator haven't crapped out on you.
4). Check your ground wires....make sure they are connected properly & aren't corroded out.
Check those items out & see what results you get. Let us know...
ID
95 SE

aznpoopy
07-06-2004, 07:36 AM
man... that's alot to check out. thanks for the help man. my battery is fairly new but i definitely think my engine ground and altnernator are suspect...

more to do on the weekend... thanks.