PDA

View Full Version : Need help from 5spd swap people

blubottlemax
07-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Okay, Ive read about 30+ threads now on this board and various others, and I need a final answer from people who have actually done the swap. Is a new engine crossmember needed? Is a new tranny crossmember needed? In the threads Ive read, people give varying responses. Some say you can swap around the auto crossmember and it will work, some say it won't. Which is it? Ive done 5spd swaps on Maxima's before, but not a 240. I need to swap my engine/tranny out in the next two weeks, and it has to be done by then, I don't have time for suprises. Thanks in advance for any advice. :x:

180fan
07-03-2004, 12:25 PM
no new crossmembers needed.

Dream240
07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Well I ogt a manual tranny crossmember for my swap but I've heard you can use the auto one although I wouldn't recommend it. Probably causes undue stress on the tranny mount, wearing it out prematurely.

mjjstang
07-03-2004, 03:04 PM
well im in a little predicament. I bought a manual xmember and set it next to my auto one to compare, then forgot to separate them. they both look the same and I dont know which is which, this would lead me to figure that they are the same. am I right, that or they use a stronger steel in the auto one because the auto weights more. this would leave me with a manual xmember and a auto one that is stronger than the manual one. thus I cant go wrong with either choice. right?

Dream240
07-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Shit man I have no idea. If they look the same then try to bolt each one up and see which fits better with the manual tranny. That should tell you which is which.

blubottlemax
07-03-2004, 10:26 PM
So then, if I have the new engine/tranny, brake pedal, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders, clutch line, and manual drive shaft, I should be all set? :eek3d:

blitz240a
07-04-2004, 12:49 AM
I do believe that the tranny crossmembers are a little different, The auto one sets the mount at a different angle than the manual, if i remember correctly.

DRFT
07-04-2004, 11:09 PM
yup crossmembers are different. i have both and they are indeed different, they may look the same but they are not.

robs240sx
07-04-2004, 11:57 PM
I Have Done The Swap And The X-members Are Diferent. The Auto One Will Fit But It Makes The Tranny Sit A Little To One Side. If You Have Any Doubt In Any Of These Forums Just Go To The Nissan Dealer And Compare Part Numbers.

blu808
07-05-2004, 02:57 AM
First of all never refer to a maxima for anything rwd related. Transaxels are a whole other story. The crossmembers are different, you can use the auto one without a problem if you slot the holes to allow the tranny to be in the middle. Or just get a 5 spd one. Its as easy as that.

:naughty:

blubottlemax
07-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I wasn't refering to the Maxima like it would be the same thing, just refering to the fact that I have done some pretty technical swap work on cars before. If you read down this thread, once again Ive gotten multiple answers to the same question, which is what I was trying to avoid. :Ownedd: I'm getting pulled back onto active duty in the military to attend a school in Virginia, I'm in WA, and I need to drive there next month, so the car must be done without delays. :(

robs240sx
07-05-2004, 11:49 PM
what is the problem???