PDA

View Full Version : New Turbo, No Boost, what gives

Mr. Spool
07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I just installed a new t3/t4 turbo and I am getting no boost, I think at one point I might have hit 1 lb but that is it. my set up includes kat with a log manifold and a tial wastegate.

by the way I used some of that spray on gasket sealer and some got inside the waste gate, could this prevent it from opening or closing. thanks.

TheSparo
07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
well it would keep it from closing, which would make you build too much boost, unless they have a feature where they are open unless seeing pressure?
dunno man

kidinthehall
07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
hmmmmm, TiAl wastegate? im willing to bet that you or whoever installed it may have forgotten to put in the seat for the valve in the gate.

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 05:26 AM
It was already installed on the manifold. and I never removed it. however It was removed from the wastegate dump pipe, Could I have forgot something when I reinstalled it?

What else could cause a turbo to not create boost? my vacuum sits at negative 20 then raises to 0 but thats were it tops out. Could there be any problems with the turbo itself.

orion::S14
07-02-2004, 06:59 AM
I'd also guess the wategate is staying open...maybe the missing ring gasket..? Who knows.

Or the wastegate valve is stuck open b/c you got copper spray on it..???

You need to pull it off and check it out.

- Brian

Bbandit
07-02-2004, 07:58 AM
what wastegate spring do you use on the wastegate?
zero psi spring? jk :)

mine was boosting only 2.5psi before I installed my MBC (Im running 4 psi spring)

UcanTry
07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
i had the same problem, and it was the wastegate, more then likely thats your prob

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks for the imput, so basically, even if the turbo was bad it would still produce some sort of boost? So when I pull the wastegate off what should I look for? should I be able to move the shaft that I can see from the dump side, thanks.

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 12:50 PM
what is the ring gasket?

fastpace
07-02-2004, 01:09 PM
i just took some picks of it on my imagestation host site. it should be towards the end of the pics. it bascially stops premature air from leaking out of the wastegate.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286423543

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 02:04 PM
should I be able to move that valve when it is off the car or should it be pretty firm. by the way thanks for the pics.

another question for you, should the spool up be dramatically louder than an ihi. thanks.

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
I pulled of the dump pipe and stuck my fingers in there, it feels like it is closed, and I cant make it budge. is this how it should be?

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 03:48 PM
there is also a second hole on the exauhst side of the turbo, am I supposed to seal this some how or should this not matter? I just used the copper gasket on this as well.

kidinthehall
07-02-2004, 06:30 PM
uhhhhhh...........2nd hole on the exhaust side? As in, the turbo was setup for INTERNAL wastegate? you need to have that welded shut. It should have a flapper door over it.

JtWo
07-02-2004, 06:53 PM
a hybrid turbo? sorry to go offtopic but what a/r?

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 10:13 PM
It was set up to be either internally or externally wastegated, there is no flapper there, it is just an empty hole. could this be causing the turbo not to spool or create boost? I thought about just perchasing an downpipe gasket to hopefully keep the hole from leaking.

and yes I believe it is a hibrid.

fastpace
07-02-2004, 10:15 PM
should I be able to move that valve when it is off the car or should it be pretty firm. by the way thanks for the pics. another question for you, should the spool up be dramatically louder than an ihi. thanks.

well it really depends. what is the spring rate of the spring you have? a 4 pound spring was pretty easy to push up on bbandit's tial wastegate, but mine is kind of hard to push up on the valve with a 6 psi spring, but i also have a different wastegate.

i don't know the difference between the spool up of your t3/t4 compared to an ihi turbo, there are alot of factors that play a roll. do you know the specs of the two turbochargers?

Mr. Spool
07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
when you say push up on it, do you mean that when I reach in from the dump side, and I should be able to flip the valve open, so it just pivots?

fastpace
07-03-2004, 11:00 AM
not really flip the valve, but as you apply pressure to the valve it puts a compressible force on the spring that should open the valve.

the only thing that i can think of something flipping back and forth is a flapper valve that is used for an internal wastegate. Is that flapper valve still attached to the turbine side of your turbo?

Mr. Spool
07-03-2004, 06:16 PM
the turbo did not come with a flapper valve, it only came with the hole for a flapper valve. do I need to seal that hole some how?

How do I tell if the wastegate is bad.

Mr. Spool
07-03-2004, 06:20 PM
the turbo did not come with a flapper valve, it only came with the hole for a flapper valve. do I need to seal that hole some how?

How do I tell if the wastegate is bad?

is there a way to tell if the turbo is bad?

kidinthehall
07-03-2004, 06:23 PM
It was set up to be either internally or externally wastegated, there is no flapper there, it is just an empty hole. could this be causing the turbo not to spool or create boost? I thought about just perchasing an downpipe gasket to hopefully keep the hole from leaking.

and yes I believe it is a hibrid.

Yes...... the big gaping hole in the exhaust side is your problem. have it welded shut if you are using an external gate.

What were you thinking a downpipe gasket was going to fix? im confused on that.

Mr. Spool
07-03-2004, 06:43 PM
I did not even use a down pipe gasket. so even with the flange covering both holes I will still leak. and just a gasket will not fix it? I need to actually form a piece of steel to fit in the hole and seal it all the way off?

kidinthehall
07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
no, all a gasket is gonna do is prevent exhaust from leaking out the turbine outlet past the downpipe, making an exhaust leak. whats happening to you is that the exhaust is basically bypassing the turbine wheel and taking the easiest route out...............through the open hole, and into the downpipe. its basically acting as if your WG was 100% open all the time. If im understanding what you're describing to be the case at least.

If this is really how things are, you really need to get a better understanding of exactly how things work before you put them on your car, or its gonna live a very short, hard life.

Mr. Spool
07-03-2004, 09:09 PM
the down pipe flange, is the 5 bolt style and covers both the open hole and turbine hole. I then sprayed copper gasket over the downpipe flange. I figured that would be enough to cover the open hole. Is this what you have pictured, if so how should I go about plugging that hole?

also when I am running the car at idle it sounds normal, but when I put load on it I get a high pitched noise that gets louder the closser to 0 vacume I get. and 98% of the time it stops at zero and then once in a while it keeps going up to as high as 2 1/2 pounds.

If you need any more info let me know.

Mr. Spool
07-03-2004, 09:12 PM
by the way the open hole is being covered by the 5 bolt flange and is not open straight into the down pipe.

Mr. Spool
07-05-2004, 05:21 PM
how do I go about blocking the wastegate hole?

kidinthehall
07-05-2004, 07:21 PM
take the turbo off, take it to a welder and tell him you want the hole beside the turbine discharge welded shut. simple as that. im not sure how you figured it was going to seal it off by doing what you did, theres still a 1/2" or so of dead air between the hole and the flange for your downpipe.

the whistling you're hearing is the turbo attempting to make boost. you also may want to check your plumbing for vacuum/boost leaks, make sure you dont have any nipples uncapped etc. take your time.

Mr. Spool
07-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the imput, I just took it off to weld it shut, to my dismay, I grabbed the shaft and spun it just for giggles and what do I find, the shaft wiggled back and forth slightly, I then checked even closser, and the intake side is rubbing ever so slightly, I am not quite sure what shaft play is, but I am sure this is it. if I am wronge let me know. but I am pretty sure my brand new turbo is junk.

please let me know if I am right about this. thanks.

TheSparo
07-05-2004, 09:11 PM
it moves back and forth or side to side?

kidinthehall
07-05-2004, 09:36 PM
thats not good. a small amount of side to side play is acceptable......front to back play is definately bad. ANY contact between moving/non moving parts is BAD. if youve got the compressor wheel touching down in the housing youve definately got a fucked turbo.

Mr. Spool
07-05-2004, 09:46 PM
its not back and forth, it is side to side, and we think we can see were it has touched. and is touching slightly.

what causes turbos to go bad. and the shaft to go out?

kidinthehall
07-06-2004, 12:53 AM
poor balance, lack of oil...........number of reasons.

ftrs13
07-06-2004, 06:23 AM
I think you have pinpointed your screaming sound, its that blade trying to sping up, and rubbing against the compressor housing.

hate to say it, but this sounds bad .... time for a new turbo, or 200 dollar rebuild

was it actually new, or new to you. because there could be some warrantee on it that you could take advantage of. Ive never bought a new new turbo, so I wouldnt know the answer to that.

Mr. Spool
07-06-2004, 11:49 AM
it was new new, from ss autochrome, I tried contacting them, but I have gotten no response, I plan on going through paypal. to get some sort of retribution. This turbo has been an extreem headache. I hope I did not cause any damage to my engine by the metal flakes that came off of the blades and compressor housing. I have just ordered another turbo so hopefully I will have some good news about it soon.

kidinthehall
07-06-2004, 01:44 PM
oh god...........you got one of those garrett clone pieces of shit that they sell. yeah, try and get your money back on that and buy a real T3/T4. they're like ~500-550.

Mr. Spool
07-06-2004, 05:15 PM
What is the differences between the two of them.

ftrs13
07-06-2004, 07:59 PM
quality, all the SS autochrome stuff seems to have a real tendency to be pieces of SH1T

Mr. Spool
07-06-2004, 08:24 PM
has any body dealt with these turbos, I messed up and ordered another one. I used my credit card so I can just make a claim if its broke or messed up again. If anybody has any experience with these I would like to know your thoughts. thanks.

kidinthehall
07-06-2004, 10:47 PM
you know our thoughts...........they are garbage. theres a REASON they are half the price of the nearest competitor. if at all possible, get your money back and get a real garrett based t3/t4.

nrg
07-07-2004, 04:36 AM
dont buy SSautochrome turbos.. go to atpturbos.com and buy a turbo. good luck.