PDA

View Full Version : Removing s13 front brake lines.

s13Yoon
06-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Was attempting a z32 front brake upgrade when i ran into the problem of having a hard time trying to remove the brake lines. I used a line wrench and pliers but this sucker is on there good. There was a lot of dirt and dust surrounding it and it looks like it's pretty much deformed together if that makes sense. Help? Any other way of going about this? Maybe using the stock lines and a different banjo bolt?

DILLONDILLONDILLON!
06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
IS THIS CAR ABS ? and which side driver or passenger? i can try to look up a new brake line , just replace the whole line. also have you tried pb blaster on the it?

adams 02rs
06-11-2014, 01:25 PM
pb blast the carp out of it. let it soak, then grab a 10mm. you should be good to go.

RalliartRsX
06-11-2014, 02:38 PM
^^ I recommend not using a 10mm wrench on the lines if stuck as that is a good way to round them off (fact: there is actually a specific brake line tool called a flare nut wrench BTW)

If soaking lines in PB blaster or whatever overnight doesn't work, just use a set of locking vice grips on the 10mm flare brake lines and find a way to secure the lower line as you twist.

I have used a dremel before (on the lower fitting), but would never recommend it to anyone!

brndck
06-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Line wrench is for sure the correct tool. If you fuck up that fitting you'll have to run a new line all the way from the master cyl. Best bet is to wire brush or wire wheel all the dirt and corrosion off, soak in pb blaster, and then go at it with a line wrench.

adams 02rs
06-11-2014, 02:53 PM
^^ I recommend not using a 10mm wrench on the lines if stuck as that is a good way to round them off (fact: there is actually a specific brake line tool called a flare nut wrench BTW)

10mm worked great for me. but nothing is better then what's specified. use the flare nut wrench if your Leary about rounding the hex. never had a issue( knock on wood)

Driven08
06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
If you are not having any luck with a 10mm, try using a crescent wrench. Much bigger surface to "grip" with. Usually works very well for me.

If all else fails, use a pipe wrench but it will definitely cause damage from my past experiences.

s13Yoon
06-11-2014, 08:35 PM
I think line wrench for the hard line and a vise grip for the rubber lines.
The PB blaster might be a good thing to try as the lines are pretty... how do i say... mangled and molded together now?

Croustibat
06-12-2014, 06:40 AM
OEM hard lines are cheap anyway, so if you happen to kill the fitting, just get another line.

kennedy8383
06-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I use Vice grip and it work well. I live rusty weather and getting bolts nuts are hardest.

Def
06-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Vise grips are better than flare nut wrenches for the really stuck nuts, but it does hurt the fitting over time.