PDA

View Full Version : EGR code 32 with loss of top end power (help)

mr0072003
06-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Hi guys, just recently, one of the wires from my distributer connecters came loos ( a known issue I have had for years) while driving, causing a loss of spark and the engine cuttingm off (loss of spark to engine). I immediatly knew what it was and rolled the car to the side. I pushed wire back into the connecter and car started right up like it was suppose to. The Engine light came on when the car died. I cheked the code and sure enough it was code 21 (Loss of primary ignition signal). I reset the code and all was good. Here is where my problems began. Shortly after going home after work that day, my check engine light came back on, when I checked it, to my surprise, it turned out to be code 32 (EGR fualt code). This was unusauall since I have dealt with this code a few years back and new it pretty good, so I ignored that day since I knew it was emmisions only and reset the code. Well going to work the next day I noticed a SEVER loss of top end power and heard a very loud noise coming from my distributer when car was at 5000 rpm or more, sounds like I had glasspacks. (No it was not pinging sounds, it was louder). I checked the distributer and got a nice shock whenI touched it. The Distrubuter CAP was cracked.......So i had a spare cap replaced it with some old wires I had from my other engine and I still had the same problem with the loss of power and the EGR code would still come on after awhile or if I drive the car at high RPM.

My question to the the techs is:
Do you think when I lost ignition signal while the car was still running it caused somthing else to go wrong with EGR system or is ECU confused?

Why all of sudden would I lose power and the only code that I would get is EGR, when it sounds like I have something wrong with the distrubuter?

What the heck is the loud noise comming from my distributor?

What would crack a distibutor cap?

Please help. anyone

mr0072003
06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
OK guys I just checked my EGR system and found a cracked hose on one of the EGR selinoids. It mus have been coinsidence that the EGR code finally went off wne my car had the ignition problem. But this sstill does not explain my loss of power....does it?

anyone's help would be great

thanks
Pete

nightwalker
06-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I replied in your other post