PDA

View Full Version : Installing a sr20 tranny the right and easy way?

SilviaSR20DET
06-05-2014, 01:11 AM
I'm having a frustrating time trying to get my s14 sr transmission back in. Is there a method that i can use to get it back in easier? I did use my alignment tool and installed a new pilot bushing correctly but for some reason it just won't go in no matter what i do. My ka tranny went in like butter compared to this SOB. HELP!

brndck
06-05-2014, 01:52 AM
Loosen the engine mounts and back off the bolts that hold the engine subframe to give you more wiggle room. Every time I've done an sr trans I've had to rotate the trans 90* to the right to get it to slide in. (If you're at the back of the car, looking forwards, 90* clockwise).

SilviaSR20DET
06-05-2014, 02:32 AM
oh sorry forgot to mention this is out of the car on a pallet and raised up a bit from the bottom with some wood. Ill try your method but i think you are right cause it did slide in once that way but kind of slipped out thanks for pointing that out.

Milenko2121
06-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I'd double check the bushing size vs input shaft.

I just installed a pilot bushing from autozone and spent two days trying to get my transmission on. Gave up, dropped everything, took my micrometer to test the size and the bushing was too small of a diameter. I went and picked up an OEM one from the dealer, and it slid on in less than 2 minutes.

fliprayzin240sx
06-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Fresh SR Swap? Did you make sure it wasnt an auto engine and still has the auto pilot bearing in? Also, how close are you? I've seen folks get it close to a few mm's but wont go all way in. Turns out, they have a taller TOB/carrier in the tranny and the pressure plate was pushing the tranny.

Milenko2121
06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
[deleted]

SilviaSR20DET
06-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Hmm well i got the pilot bushing from the nissan dealer so i think its legit. The sr came complete and definitely is a manual one. It actually took a bit of force to remove at first so im not suprised im having a hard time putting it back on. Still havent gotten around to it yet but going to give it a try again soon.

Azian465
06-06-2014, 03:15 AM
If you can get another pair of hands to help you, try having another person with a ratchet and the right size socket on the front of the crank and have them spin it clockwise(looking from the front of the car) while you're underneath pushing the tranny forward. That seemed to be the quickest way that has worked for me so far. Hope you get it on there bud.

SilviaSR20DET
06-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Thats a good idea actually, will do that too.

g14novak
06-06-2014, 11:17 AM
I've always had good experience standing engines on their nose (harmonic balancer off!!!) And lowering the tranny down onto the engine. That way you get a better view if its going on straight or not and can constantly spin it until it drops on.

Before everyone comes in and says "yer gunna bend yer crank!", I did this to 1 rotary, 2 b series Hondas, and 2 twin can ka with no issues.

SilviaSR20DET
06-18-2014, 11:22 PM
If you can get another pair of hands to help you, try having another person with a ratchet and the right size socket on the front of the crank and have them spin it clockwise(looking from the front of the car) while you're underneath pushing the tranny forward. That seemed to be the quickest way that has worked for me so far. Hope you get it on there bud.

I figured i'd update my thread. It finally worked with this method and two thumbs up for giving me this idea. However, the only difference is since the engine was out of the car, you can just spin the actual clutch clockwise by hand while pushing the tranny in and thats how it worked out for me. The tranny slid right in perfectly with a couple of tries. Thanks!

rc1honda
06-19-2014, 07:03 AM

OMG this. I was pulling my hair out trying to get the tranny to mate. Buddie came over and threw a socket on the crank bolt and turned a tiny bit while I kept pressure on it and popped right on. I was fucking shocked that I didn't think of it.

Vegass13
06-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Sorry to thread jack but just a quick question about the sr20 trans...I can't seem to figure out where the connector that holds the wires for the 3 trans sensors plugs into. I'm using the ka harness but the plug is identical on both harness and on the ka it went to a connector on the ka ecu harness but there's isn't one that fits it on the sr ecu harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk