PDA

View Full Version : Idle AFR reads 19 - 19.5, but smells pig rich

quickdiversion
05-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Its an odd problem? not sure if it is a problem, but could be. Even when I cruise and reading lean, people behind me say It smells like fule and really rich. All AFR's are reading fine so not sure.

It i a AEM uego about 4 feet maybe less after the turbine housing in the test pipe mounted at a 45* angle.

Any ideas what could be making it read lean if it is really rich?
I am running nismotronic, I have been working with John to get it running well enough to drive it to him to tune it. Just making sure this is not something bigger than just tune. Car drives well regardless the lean/rich issue.

curo72
06-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Have you checked for exhaust leaks yet?

quickdiversion
06-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I can't hear any, plus I had all the flanges decked flat.
Plus it is v-band from the turbo and down pipe. First 2 bolt flange is the test pipe.
, which the wide band sensor is in.

Kingtal0n
06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
All AFR's are reading fine so not sure.

Well are they lean or are they fine, which is it

quickdiversion
06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
They seem to be fine when driving but at idle they read lean, a stated. While reading lean it smells like pure fuel. That's the question.

Kingtal0n
06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Change your spark plugs, clean your air filter, do a compression test.
check for exhaust leaks.
Look at the exhaust- does it look like black smoke?

Lean readings at idle can be because of misfires, even slight misfires, and exhaust leaks usually. The fact is smells like fuel spells "misfire" though.

Sometimes people gap their old ass plugs down too low. that would cause incomplete combustion. it would sound "normal" but you are wasting air and fuel. this will also result with poor fuel economy.
What is your mileage like? anything less than 25mpg is poor.

quickdiversion
06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Lol anything less than 25 mph is poor, I wish I was getting that much. I have 111 miles on the trip and I am half way between half and quarter my has mileage is Shit.

My plugs could be very fouled, but no over gaped. The are at recommend gap for stock on ngk7's,.however I am running ls2 truck coils, as well as ID1000 injectors. I would most likely say its misfire. But I am reading no know over 10. Also I am running nismotronic.

RalliartRsX
06-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Just give it some thought.

Significantly lean conditions in that range probably points to something along the injector line (injector, ECU pin, injector stuck open, etc.).

I had the same issue at one point (massive lean conditions and had to throw a TON of fuel at it, via the standalone, just to keep it stoich at idle. From my experience, that alone seemed grossly incorrect). Thought about it for a few minutes, went straight to check injectors (fiddling with injector plugs), then went straight to the ECU harness (previous owner and shody/shitting wiring...........). As expected, one injector wire (number 1. Just moved around the wires while connected and checked the wideband for inconsistencies) had a damaged pin (only God knows how the hell the previous owner managed this...........).

Removed a pin and wire from another ECU, wired it in, and she has been good to go!

Just give it some thought before coming on Zilvia asking for advice as you end up getting 25 different (and in most cases incorrect. Not purposefully, but its thought to diagnose without the actual vehicle) answers and time you spend trying out every one's answers, you more than likely could have figured it out yourself :)

Kingtal0n
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Lol anything less than 25 mph is poor, I wish I was getting that much. I have 111 miles on the trip and I am half way between half and quarter my has mileage is Shit.

My plugs could be very fouled, but no over gaped. The are at recommend gap for stock on ngk7's,.however I am running ls2 truck coils, as well as ID1000 injectors. I would most likely say its misfire. But I am reading no know over 10. Also I am running nismotronic.

you really opened a can of worms running a stock ecu with a chip and some aftermarket ignition setup. lord only knows about the dwell / latency / wiring at this point. I would suggest you step backwards to OEM equipment and see if that solves your issue. No reason not to use stock coils until about 450~horsepower and even then there are ways to make it work.

quickdiversion
06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Nismotronic is not a chip, look it up. I went from a power fc to it.
I know all the dwell and latency.and it is already inputted. Everything is wired correctly. I had the same issue with my power fc, which was one of my reasons to change. 20 year old tech fur new tech. Like I said before the ecu and car have not been dyno tuned yet. I am simply trying to find out if it is something that needs fixing before tubing or tuning will fix it.

quickdiversion
06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
http://www.nismotronic.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29

RalliartRsX
06-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Its funny you mention Nismotronic, as that is the same ECU I am using ;)

I am still in for a fuel related issue. Again, go fiddle with it yourself. You may discover something and it be an easy fix (which a majority of time it is if you take time to find the issue).

Goodluck!

quickdiversion
06-02-2014, 10:26 AM
First thing I am going to do when I have to to play with it is change the plugs.
Because I am quite sure I hear a bit of misfire

RalliartRsX
06-02-2014, 10:33 AM
............I am going to bet you it's not the plugs. And if for some reason the plugs failed, then you are surely to have other issues which caused the plugs to fail in the first place............

19.5 or so for even broken plugs (ones which are not firing or whatever), I don't think would yield such a (lean) condition

I recommend you check things before you start just throwing money at it.

IJS..........

quickdiversion
06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
The reason I stated doing plugs is because these plugs have been through numerous street tuning cycles with both the power fc and now the nismotronic, haha they are definitely due.

RalliartRsX
06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Fair enough ;)

quickdiversion
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I definitely know its miss firing especially under 10% throttle. Like around town and parking lots. So I Betty this has a bunch to do with it. I'm gonna do a log with for safety sake.

RalliartRsX
06-02-2014, 11:00 AM
With the nismotronic, once you replace your plugs and they are in working order, you can go into the NEMu software and uncheck each injector or coil one at a time. That is the quick and easy way to check if your fuel injectors are firing or for spark.

I did this check, in conunction with the wire check to narrow the issue down to my injector. Basically a redundacy test before throwing $$$$ based off peoples recommendations as compared to what I am seeing in front of me