PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheating and A/C clutch issues. HELP!

Mew2Senshi: The Driver
05-19-2014, 04:40 PM
I have an '91 KA-powered automatic S13 with overheating and A/C issues.

I want to know what can cause the engine to overheat. It tends to happen at lower road speeds and will cool of after turning off engine for a while and gain speed after I turn it back on. I find no leaks, thermostat is good and the radiator is not old. Only thing I can come up with is worn fan clutch and radiator cap. How can I be sure.

Second issue is with engagement of A/C compressor clutch. I would have my A/C on but it blows warm air because clutch doesn't engage. It would engage, if it ever does, at no particular time. Sometimes it works the whole trip, sometimes it engages at the very end. I figure it has to be a electric problem. Is it a common problem? How does it get fixed?

jedi03
05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Pressure check both systems...ac sounds like low an if radiator cap suspecr do it...i think more likely your fan clutch

fliprayzin240sx
05-19-2014, 07:23 PM
If your AC system is low, the pressure sensor would not let the the AC compressor to kick it. It's a fail safe to keep you from blowing the compressor.

Mew2Senshi: The Driver
05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
How can one check if the fan clutch is actually working?

johnnysombrero
05-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Try spinning it.

What has been deleted? Do you have a fan shroud? What's changed recently? These can all contribute to overheating issues.