PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil mystery

dankd
05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Okay. Background on the car and engine..

Typical bhg and I replaced that..
Got the car running *kinda**
It would idle for 10 sec and bog out. Any gas and it would die.

So after days of messing with it. I wanted to check the oil. And before I did that I checked the Rad. Bone dry. I check the oil and full of milkey. Water. I drain the oil and I aware to God straight water came out for like 5 secs. Than milky oil.. and there was at least 2 gallons.. now I am thinking crack or hole in block. I take the engine out. Disassemble the hole thing. Examine the block I see no holes no cracks....

Now I took the oil pan off and the timming chain guide broke and is a bunch of pieces of plastic/metal.. all that even in the oil pump feed... could that have something to do with it? These are my current findings any insight is good

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

cotbu
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
No! Your problem with the water in oil is not because of the broken guide. It was probably the same installer error that caused the guide to break as the leaky head gasket install.

For water to make it into the oil, without pressure, means there was no seal from block to head. your starting or staying running problem probably stems from this. Broken guide could be because the head wasn't set on the block straight or rested on the guide for a period. SR20DET?
Then engine use oil to lubricate not water! You should have did a flight check, the second it didn't start or die out!

Did you have the block and head check or decked for straightness?
Most mls head gaskets require a surface finish of at least 50ra, not that mirror finish statement people with no clue make.

Your engine needs to be torn down completely and rebuilt with new everything, plus machine work.
Just to be safe! You could always sell it to some unwitting 3rd party, but that is shady biz even if for $500 they will probably dump at least a grand to repair it, roughly the price of a new long block

but.... maybe nothing was damaged and all you have to do is get the head to seal and be good to go

dankd
05-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Head was put on fine, I know for a fact./

Comp test was 175 on al 4

I plan on re surfacing the head, getting a long block and riding out/ guess thats all I can do?

shift_down
05-11-2014, 03:44 AM
What happened was that the chain brake and made a hole in the timing cover on the right side. There is a hole where water passes through. The chain damaged the lower cover causing the water hole to now be open to the oil pan, so the coolant is just flowing into the oil pan.

That is exactly what happened

dankd
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
So basically I took the whole engine apart for nothing??
And I should have made a thread when I found out what was going on....... well should I put the engine back together or what.. I'm going to check the timing cover tomorrow morning.. where should I look specifically again..
This is the beauty as she sits. No engine:(

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

dankd
06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
shift down man! where what part of the cover man I been looking didnt see shit outa place. please reply

jr_ss
06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Did you drain the oil from when the head gasket blew? Typically when a head gasket blows, oil and water mix. In that case you need to drain the oil, idle the motor, then drain it again. You may need to do that process multiple times to get all the water from inside the motor.

Have you removed the oil pump cover?

dankd
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes drained and yes its off what am i looking for on the cover?

cotbu
06-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Just post picture of the oil pump cover and the block!
It should be pretty obvious, if it's not, the problem lies elsewhere!
BTW, you looking for a hole!

dankd
06-03-2014, 09:08 PM
pics here please get back

cotbu
06-04-2014, 12:06 AM
I didn't see a hole, someone else might spot it, but this is what i did notice

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/COTBU/1_zpsf10e5be5.jpg

This picture shows what looks like a blocked bolt hole.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/COTBU/2_zpsda9ef3e1.jpg

This picture shows what looks like rust.
If you forgot a bolt it might have leaked.
It also might be nothing!