PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a shop for tranny swap?

Shin_Kudo
06-20-2004, 11:09 PM
I need to have my tranny swap (auto-5spd) (I'd try it myself, but I have neither the knowledge, the tools, the location, or the manpower to do it) done, and my usual mechanic isn't sure if he can do it. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the LA area who would be experienced with this and who could do it relatively quicky? ( I know people have done it in an afternoon with some stands and a six-pack of bud, so I'd imagine a real mechanic with a full shop could do it pretty fast easily)

Ivan
06-20-2004, 11:47 PM
its not hard at all, just time consuming. is it an s13 or s14?

Shin_Kudo
06-21-2004, 12:04 AM
S14.

I'd try the swap out myself, but I don't have anywhere to work. ( I live on a hill, and have a small, steep driveway, and no room in my garage. Only way I could do it myself is if I could find some other people (with experience) and a proper workplace.

Plus, there is a little bit of cutting and such involved (the hole for the clutch pedal, and I have to cut down the brake), and I've got no exp. with that. There are also a few areas where I don't know what to do (like, for example, the rigid metal piece between the slave cylinder (or is the MC, don't remember) and the hose is broken, and needs replacement. Also, I'm not sure if I have the bleeder line.

BuudWeizErr
06-21-2004, 11:27 AM
wanna drive to palmdale?

www.garageworksltd.com

i know they've done it before.

Shin_Kudo
06-21-2004, 06:08 PM
It's moot now anyway. Turns out my mechanic checked it out, and he's fine to do it. So my car's in his shop right now, having it's auto being pulled out. I should be sitting back in my Sparco by thursday.

Wei240
06-21-2004, 06:28 PM
It's moot now anyway. Turns out my mechanic checked it out, and he's fine to do it. So my car's in his shop right now, having it's auto being pulled out. I should be sitting back in my Sparco by thursday.
so how much is he charging, curious..
what city is he in, i could always use a 2nd opinion on car stuff...