PDA

View Full Version : Turbo finally locking up ????? help...!!

SR PwrdVA
06-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Turbo's been making metal to metal sounds since about feb or march or so. Still been running about 10 psi normally...13 or so occasionally. Everything has been pretty much ok since the turbo started acting up...only other things besides the noise were that my mani to turbo gasket blew out competely, and my turbo didn't spool til about 4 grand or so.....here's the prob....

I was driving home from work yesterday on the highway and all a sudden the car started boggin and stuttering, felt exactly like it does when i blow an intercooler pipe off or have a big boost leak. The car continued to drive for a short period stuttering and whatnot, but it got worse and worse until finally it shut off on the highway. I pulled over and checked for intercooler leak but found nothing. I even tightened my bov spring and reset the computer just to see if it made any diff. Still wouldn't idle and wouldn't rev. Well I had to get it towed home which took about half hour to 45 minutes or so. Well soon as the tow truck leaves I try to start it up to try and trouble shoot...well starts up with no prob and idles fine. I turned it off and let it sit over nite cuz I didn't have time to mess with it.

Well I went out there tonite and started it up again....yet again it runs fine. So i decided to take it out for a spin. I stayed close to my house just in case. I drove around for about 15 minutes boosting on and off ( to rule out a boost leak) and the car ran fine. I got it parked in my driveway and let it run for a few minutes. Not 5 minutes after I got home with it, it starts sputtering and bogging and finally cuts off.Won't idle straight after that. I smelt fuel while I was trying to keep it running so I'm pretty sure it's not a ecu protocall or anything where the comp is trying to shut down. From what I can tell, I don't believe I'm getting any air after driving for a lil while and the engine being warm. Is it possible that the t25 finally just locks up now after it heats up preventing air from entering the TB? That's the only thing I can think of rite now...either that or maybe a faulty component in the TB or AAC. That still wouldn't explain why it won't rev tho. Plain out feels like i'm not getting air tho. My temp guage doesn't work rite now either....would the SR do this if it was overheating? Please tell me it's just the T25 cuz I have a new turbo sitting in my room. lol. Perhaps maybe the mani to turbo gasket doing this? I dunno...I need to find out tho before I install 5grand worth of parts on it. ANY info or ideas would be much appreciated, thank you.

z0iid
06-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Had a similar problem on mine. It won't rev because it goes into limp mode.

I ended up replacing the turbo.

Problem fixed.

I wouldn't recommend spending 5k though...you could get a rebuilt turbo, or just a used stock replacement for less than $500.

Also check your MAF. Could be bad.

Dunno. Keep us updated.

SR PwrdVA
06-21-2004, 07:10 PM
I didn't spend 5 k cuz of my prob...I already had this stuff on the way. SC61 turbo, equal length mani, MAF, fuel upgrades, ecu upgrade, fmic, etc. I was just hoping that this turbo would hold out till then.

So when you turbo went, your car wouldn't keep idle or rev?

SR PwrdVA
06-21-2004, 11:29 PM
bump....can anyone else have any ideas?

RiceEata
06-22-2004, 02:33 AM
did you check to see if the turbo spins?

brianglawson
06-22-2004, 06:43 AM
hey man, where are ya at in VA, i know of a good shop who has a turbo genius workin for them

SR PwrdVA
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm in hampton roads. I already have my new turbo and everything, but am still waiting on my ecu and injectors. So I'm not looking to get my turbo diagnosised or anything you know? I'm just trying to get an idea of if it could be anything other than the turbo or the MAF, both of which I am replacing anywayz. Thanks

GamblerZ
06-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Have you checked for code errors? What I can't figure is that you've said that you have the new "turbo and everything", which means you have to eventually pull the old one...and everything So, what's stopping you? Unless you are willing to check for error codes and/or pull the turbo to determine its condition, you are just wasting everyone's time.

Meanwhile, I can't figure that you are the sharpest tack in the box since you've already indicated that you've been tooling around with a turbo thats "been making metal to metal sounds since about feb or march" and "mani to turbo gasket blew out competely, and [the] turbo didn't spool til about 4 grand or so.....here's the prob...." So why would you think your car not running right would be a problem? Just something for you to think about. ;)

SR PwrdVA
06-26-2004, 12:29 AM
The only reason I have been running on a bad turbo since feb/march is because I've been waiting on my new setup since middle march. I just got my turbo, mani, intercooler, and wastegate in a few weeks ago but I'm still waiting on key parts like my injectors, ecu, and MAF before I can install everything. This is my only ride so I couldn't afford to just stop driving it at the time, and for being injured...it still pulled well. The only thing I was trying to figure out is what could have caused my car to just give out of now where. I actually did take my mani and turbo off the other nite...the turbo seems suprisingly good. Still spins freely, maybe because it was cold and heat expands? I have no idea now. Detonation is starting to cross my mind as far as the sounds I was hearing before but me and some other ppl were positive that the sounds were coming from the turbo. Kinda hard to confuse a knocking or pinging to a rotational metal on metal sound rite? Once I have the rest of my parts I guess I'll just install everything and see if I still have problems.