PDA

View Full Version : Haltech Hard to Start

derass
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
I have an S13 SR20DET engine tuned with a PS1000. The engine is very hard to start when in all conditions, Cold, Hot and if I spin out and stall. I am thinking that the engine may be receiving too much fuel and is flooding in these situations.

Can anyone offer some guidance or procedure as to how I can reset/improve the engine start settings?

I am aware that starting is a function of Crank Timing, Pulse Prime and perhaps Idle Control. The ECU is set to 16* Crank Timing and 38ms of Pulse Prime at 20*C. Which do I start adjusting first? Do I need more or less?

I can provide any additional values from my tune if needed.

LuckyX2
04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I have the same ECU and the S13 base map included worked well for me in terms of getting it started. Obviously the main fuel/ignition maps and things like injector size need to be changed, but most of the corrections and idle stuff were fine for me as they were in the base map.

Try downloading the latest ECU Manager software and copy over the settings from the 1.13 S13 VE base map.

Post start enrich, and idle start duty are probably the two most important factors, focus on those. Also, make sure all the usual stuff like spark plugs, timing, fuel pressure is all correct. If anything like that is off, you're gonna have a hard time getting the tune right.

inopsey
04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
use 10* crank timing. the prime pulse table is the table used for starting. the car should start as easily as factory. if its hard to start you are either too lean or rich. if its flooding hold the accelerator to the floor when cranking to clear the engine and adjust fuel down. without a wideband its trial and error.

derass
04-23-2014, 05:56 PM
I have the same ECU and the S13 base map included worked well for me in terms of getting it started.

Post start enrich, and idle start duty are probably the two most important factors, focus on those. Also, make sure all the usual stuff like spark plugs, timing, fuel pressure is all correct. If anything like that is off, you're gonna have a hard time getting the tune right.
Just compared my tune to the basemap. Base map uses 10* Crank Timing, 80ms Pulse Prime @20*C and 85% Cold Start Duty. My settings are 16*, 38ms and 75%. So the basemap seems to have MORE air and fuel and LESS timing.

I agree that Idle Start Duty is important, but Post Start Enrich does not play a part in engine start. The car has been dyno tuned for a year now. Made good power, drives well and did 13 track days last year. I've just decided to take it upon myself to fix this start issue. Fuel Pressure and Plugs are good, I will check the timing, but I've had this issue since it was first tuned.

without a wideband its trial and error
The Haltech tuning guide specifically mentions when setting Pulse Prime, a wideband is not helpful and must be done by trial and error. I assume because there is no combustion happening until after the engine fires.

LuckyX2
04-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it's mostly trial and error with your throttle. If you find that giving it some throttle helps start it, then you either need a higher idle start duty or less fuel. The opposite is true if giving it throttle worsens the starting.

derass
04-23-2014, 06:11 PM
That's good advice, I'll keep that in mind when I go mess with it.