PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det sounds like Wrx. Now starting issue

SMG_01
04-18-2014, 04:15 AM
I got a redtop sr in a s14. It was running fine before it Started to sound like a Wrx and smelt like fuel. Prior to this started fine and ran very well. So I checked the plugs and cylinder 2 is the only one that smells like pure fuel. I changed the plugs since they were out and the car still started but had to be cranked more than usual. I tried starting it today and nothing it justs cranks now. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

soundboy
04-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Coilpack?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

slow92
04-18-2014, 04:36 AM
^^^^^either that or your igniter

LEG1T
04-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Yes I second the coilpack !!!

Play with the wires a little and see if anything changes. I had this problem before and all it was, was a loose wire that needed addressing from the coilpack plug. I moved this alittle and it ran worked like a charm.

blksylv
04-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Check your injector o-ring on cylinder #2 as well, same thing happened to me and it was because of a faulty o-ring. The injector could also be stuck open as well.

SMG_01
04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys tried to play with the coils and nothing so gonna go for the injector o-rings and let you guys know what happens

ultimateirving
04-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a total misfire issue. Start pulling injector clips and see what helps or hurts the idle.

cotbu
04-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Ok for future reference the wrx sound, usually means the engine is firing on 3 or less cylinders. That's it! Well it's obvious a lot of you understand this because of the replies. What the person with the problem needs to do is determine the cylinder, then determine if it's spark or fuel or both. A power balance test will help determine the cylinder(s) The rest is an atrform!;)

Vegass13
04-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Try switching the coil packs around? See if it misfires in a different cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mechanicalmoron
04-19-2014, 01:00 PM
If you do o-rings, make sure you use a dielectric, vaseline, or other clear, clean grease smeared on the rings, and a LOT of it (since gas will wash it off as you insert it). Otherwise, gas doesn't lubricate, and when you go to insert it, it will likely rip, pinch, or otherwise not go in right - it might even work then, and then blow out later and be frustrating and confusing, as mine once did.

Also, along with getting them to seat right, is using new o-rings, especially lower, every time you remove injectors. If you don't, inspect it very carefully, it will often pinch and rip coming out, since obviously, there's no grease to help on the way out. Make sure there are no splits or cracks.

.db.
04-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a bad injector. You can try just unplugging each injector one at a time - there should be a noticeable difference in the engine operation. You can also ohm test them. I had 3 and 4 go out. Car had no power..

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

cotbu
04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Damn common core!:banghead:

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

JF_OverBoosted
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
I had a similar problem, but minus the starting problem...
One of my injectors went bad & sounded HORRIBLE.

Another similar case, my bro had the same problem, but turns out
he ended up blowing his motor lol.

goodluck!

STR3TCH
05-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem after i changed spark plugs and ignition coils. everything ran great. drove it from my storage unit to my garage and it had the wrx rumble like you were talking about. did some snooping around it turned out one of my ignition coils came unplugged. We plugged it back in and haven't had any issues since. hope that helps and your issue isnt any more severe