PDA

View Full Version : Idle slightly high?

iamtheyi
04-10-2014, 12:18 AM
My KA24DE in my 95 240sx has been idling slightly high ever since I bought the stupid thing and I can't figure out how to get it down.

Currently, it is idling at 900-950 rpm. I have replaced the CTS, TPS, and switched out the MAF.
One point may be that when I uplug the tps, I can get it to idle at 700-750 perfectly. It's only when I plug it back in that it starts to idle higher.
The throttle plate also looks like it is closing completely visually. The throttle cable has enough looseness that it wouldn't cause any problems.

Any ideas or suggestions?

zombiewolf513
04-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Try adjusting the throttle cable?

iamtheyi
04-10-2014, 12:22 AM
lol my bad. Bad wording. Edited it. Throttle cable is COULD NOT be a problem. haha.

zombiewolf513
04-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Maybe that high idle warmup cam thing is stuck

zerodameaon
04-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Check my sig.

iamtheyi
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I already did that. It's only when I replug the TPS back in that it idles higher.

zerodameaon
04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Then you need to adjust your TPS or replace it, it is possible to get bad new parts. Also the throttle plate closing completely should lower idle not raise it.

iamtheyi
04-10-2014, 09:21 PM
I know. That's why I'm so utterly confused. I even changed the intake back to stock just in case It was being stupid for whatever reason. I just cannot get this thing to idle like normal lol. I got another tps. Will be trying this weekend.

I ohm tested it while the car was on and it was within acceptable ranges.
.51v and 1.6k ohms while shut and 10.9k ohms WOT. Trying a new one anyway. Maybe my entire throttle body is bad?

Could a bad egr system do this?

zerodameaon
04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
My throttle body had a bent shaft, so anything is possible.

TurboAndSlow
04-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Not to jump on your thread, I just don't want to get flamed for starting a new one.
I bought my 240 with a sr, the guy said he tried cleaning the iacv, but only used about a half of a can.
When I first got it and would drive, it would idle surge no matter what. I fixed some coolant lines, and vacuum lines. It fixed it for a while..30 minutes lol...
Just a couple of weeks ago(I don't think I did it right though) I adjusted tps, with the iacv screw turned left(counter clockwise), I also adjusted throttle cable. And i cleans the maf.Well I noticed when I first start her up, she'll be idling anywhere from 1200-1500 cold .different days you know?
When the engine finally warms up depending if I'm rushing around 3k-3500 rpm, it idle surge slow or sporadically. And will jump 1200-2000.
I am able to turn my bov which I heard is bad, I had oil in my 3rd spark plug well but not anymore, there's oil in my intercooler pipe, via cold side, motors compressor surging, I know I need to replace valve cover gasket. Anyone think of anything else could be a problem I could check for

zombiewolf513
04-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Look for vacuum leaks by pinching the lines at the source. There's also threads on how to check for leaks in charge piping, you should do that.

Cvworth
05-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Do you have your defroster on? Lol just making sure

cotbu
05-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Wtf? Put the ecu into timing/idle adjust mode and lower the base idle. If there is a vacuum leak you'll know because now you Will stall.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

iamtheyi
05-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Lower the base idle to what? That's the first time I've heard this theory. I'm pretty sure it's a vac leak for me. Going to take apart my intake manifold soon

cotbu
05-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Lol, what do ka's idle at? 650/750?
Most of the time I can hear a vacuum leak on an engine. If not I try to identify what I think might be a vacuum leak. With a vacuum gauge or compressed air. Never would I suggest just pulling it apart to find a leak. That's some common core shish.

My bad your idle is high for an unknown reason correct, the idle control valve will allow you to lower your idle. It's best to check and set base idle before you just turn the idle down because the ecu has learned the values and it has a range of adjustment. So if you adjust this without being in timing mode it might not stick and if it does you might be out of range when the ecu takes control.

If you have a vacuum leak and you do this correctly you will notice it by stalling when coming to a stop, usually.

If you never been in timing mode, shame on you;)

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!