PDA

View Full Version : Straight pipe s14 help

Nazdog247
04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
This question goes out to you who have straight pipe... I'm trying to put a straight pipe on my car within the next weeks. I want to remove my catalytic converter and run a test pipe along with a catback exhaust to make it to loud and try to avoid tickets. I know it won't pass smog. But as I was looking under my car I noticed the cat was welded on enstead of bolted on? The down pipe comes out the headers and is welded on no bolts. So how should I go about removal of this, I was thinking to just grind off the muffler off by the welds so I can keep the bolts there to use to bolt on the test pipe? Or should I weld my test pipe on also? Id like to know how to set this up the best and how some of you run your test pipe thanks!

eek
04-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Loud and avoiding tickets do not belong in the same sentence esp in California. The factory header is 2 pieces. The lower portion should contain the primary cat which can be unbolted from the upper section that is bolted to your cylinder head.

You have a few options.

1.Do it right by removing the lower section of the header and replace it with another oem one that has bolts and the 2nd dummy cat in place. This will retain the primary cat since the lower section of the header has the primary cat in place.

2. Cut off the dummy cat, weld in your test pipe, then bolt on your aftermarket exhaust.

3. You can eliminate the primary cat by unbolting it from the header, you can fit a aftermarket sr20det downpipe to the header and then bolt everything up (THIS is really loud esp with aftermarket exhaust). This will eliminate both the dummy and primary cat. It also smells like ass with no cat in place.

4. Buy a aftermarket header from ebay ($90) or where ever and just replace it all and call it a day.

Nazdog247
04-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Loud and avoiding tickets do not belong in the same sentence esp in California. The factory header is 2 pieces. The lower portion should contain the primary cat which can be unbolted from the upper section that is bolted to your cylinder head.

You have a few options.

1.Do it right by removing the lower section of the header and replace it with another oem one that has bolts and the 2nd dummy cat in place. This will retain the primary cat since the lower section of the header has the primary cat in place.

2. Cut off the dummy cat, weld in your test pipe, then bolt on your aftermarket exhaust.

3. You can eliminate the primary cat by unbolting it from the header, you can fit a aftermarket sr20det downpipe to the header and then bolt everything up (THIS is really loud esp with aftermarket exhaust). This will eliminate both the dummy and primary cat. It also smells like ass with not cats in place.

4. Buy a aftermarket header from ebay ($90) or where ever and just replace it all and call it a day.

Thanks for your input I also have greddy headers already (ka motor) and yeah I might just get a whole new down pipe to bolt up to my headers, but thanks I'll look Into it! I wish I could post pics but I only have my iphone