PDA

View Full Version : when to lower compression

Tmaxxahol
06-16-2004, 10:33 AM
I am in the process of building the motor before I do the swap on a S13. The motor is a Redtop SR20Det.. I am looking to upgrade to a larger turbo sometime next winter.. (cant afford it all at once)
I am running HKS Cams stage 1 and 750cc injectors turned down and a Blitz FMIC all of these I already have.. the heads are done and I am approching reassembly
I am curious as to what poundage of boost will it benefit me to drop my head compression.......
Thanks

still needed stand alone ignition, and blow off valve.

Also anyone know of anybody that works on Haltech Ignitions in the Tristate Pa VA MD Area.. Thanks again
Please dont flame me Im a noob

msaskin
06-16-2004, 10:54 AM
It all depends...

What are your goals, what turbo are you planning on running, is this car supposed to end up streetable, etc...
The pro honda drag cars run 12:1+ compression and 20+psi of boost, but these are full blown race cars.

~matt

Steeles
06-16-2004, 12:15 PM
you really dont need to lower compression anymore on a redtop its already at 8.5:1, generally you only lower compression on non factory turbocharged engines due to the fact they run higher compressions. (for example the stock KA comp is 9.5:1) some SR owners have been known to RAISE compression to 9:1 for better streetability and response. heard nothing but good reviews from this setup. and can be done easy enough. CP pistons makes a set that will change the Comp. ratio for the same price as forged stock replacements. I know jgy carries them along with a few others.

AenjukuCar
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Well check out Dynamic Motorsports in Dillsburg, Pa on route 15 their number is (717)502-8535 or visit their website at [email protected]. I'll have my 240 their in two weeks on the dyno thats Tues 22nd of this month. Another place that is really really good is up in Stamford, CT it's really worth going to them to do tuning also that place is called:

Imported Cars of stamford, LLC Performance Motors.
-complete upgrades foreign & Domestic Automobiles

suspension systems- Computer chips
Exhaust systems-guage packages
Turbocharger systems with electornic fuel management
All general repairs-free pick up & Delivery

No Jobs too big or too small
you tried the rest, now come to the best

377 Elm Street
Stamford, CT 06902 Tel:(203)323-3486
Fax:(203)325-4187

Owner George Kakaletris

I highly recommend this second shop, they are very good they can work on nissans, porsches,240's, Mr-2's anything. My buddy took his 300zxtt up their, and my other buddy just took his turbo Mr-2 up their, and when i get my injectors and MAF Z32 i'm going to take mine up their. Give him a call.

Tmaxxahol
06-16-2004, 10:48 PM
YES STREETABLE >> WEEKEND TOY>> no long trips it might get 7000 miles a year if its lucky I work two jobs. and have little time to play..

My initial goals are drop Sr20 with full preparedness to have 400 in car in other words to never pull the motor again.. I may add a clutch if money keeps prevailing like it is...
rework stock EEC to boost turbo a bit.. for a goal of 250hp this winter....

then sometime beetween spring and summer do additional turbo work such as Garret or HKS turbo and turn up fuel injectors.. add turbo timer and a full stand alone.........for a goal of over 400hp..

I know it is not quite as simple as it is written but my wrists can only take so much typing.. lol :hammer: