PDA

View Full Version : Power steering and A/C?

Crab Walker
06-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I am pretty close to getting a ca18det but i wanted to keep my power steering and a/c. How do i go about keeping it? do u use the OEM PS and a/c that came with my car, or do i need a new one that fits the CA?

redamnavit
06-15-2004, 09:05 AM
I am pretty close to getting a ca18det but i wanted to keep my power steering and a/c. How do i go about keeping it? do u use the OEM PS and a/c that came with my car, or do i need a new one that fits the CA?

That depends on what you drive.

1)If you've got an 89-90 (KA24E), you can bolt your existing A/C pump up to the CA. To make this work you need to swap the pulley from the CA's A/C pump to the KAE's pump. From all I've researched there's a special tool for this that only Nissan dealerships have. No one's been able to explain what sort of magical tool this is, so I theorize it requires pixies and expensive chocolate to operate. I personally don't care, because...

2)If you have a 91-98 (KA24DE) your KA pump won't work at all. However, any decent A/C shop should be able to braze a set of lines to the pump that's on your CA and you can use that. Which is what I'll be doing.

There's a fairly fresh thread on this over in the CA section of NICO, but this about summarizes it.

Crab Walker
06-15-2004, 09:59 AM
yeah i have a DE. thanks for the info.

now for the power steering, is it at all possible to use the oem ps on the CA also? I love power steering and dont wana loose it. :wtc:

redamnavit
06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah i have a DE. thanks for the info.

now for the power steering, is it at all possible to use the oem ps on the CA also? I love power steering and dont wana loose it. :wtc:

I don't intend on losing mine either, but my CA came with a PS pump on it so this isn't too much of a concern for me. I'm not sure if the KA pump will work on the CA; I've actually heard yes -and- no in two separate threads. I should have my KA out in the next couple weekends though and I'll compare the pumps when I get a chance.

There's a chance that the pump off of a RWD CA18ET (S12 200sx) or FWD CA18DE (87-90 Pulsar) might fit as well. The Pulsar is usually the first stop for sourcing parts, but given its transverse mounting I think the 200sx might be a more likely source for accessories. The SR20 folks may have a larger aftermarket, but we can fix our engines without calling Japan. :D

JdmGtDriver
02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Old thread but very useful...SUBSCRIBED!!!