PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE Overheating and oil missing questions

Cvworth
03-22-2014, 11:42 PM
im not that technacaly inclined so please be patient with me. i am learning! :newbie:

ok... so first off a few weeks ago my 240 was over heating. temp would creep up, sometime all the way and id shut it off. sometimes half way and would drop back to normal. pretty easy to figure out so i replaced the T-stat... problem solved for about 3 weeks. then i went for a drive today and BTW i am constantly checking my temp gauge. I went to the car wash and was distracted by the pretty colors and the slight leak from my window that had water spitting on my head so i wasn't paying attention to the temp. car was idling the whole time of course. i pulled out of the wash and shut off the car to dry it. 5mins later hop back in, take off, and looked down and it was on H. I immediately shut if off and rolled to a stop. popped the hood, no leaks, both hoses were tight and HOT. let the car cool down for a while and drove off and no problems for the rest of the night. even prolonged idles. until i was on my way home and wala.. check engine light :facepalm:

Questions

could the water from the undercarriage spay cause the water pump belt to slip causing the overheat?... lease dont call me dumb lol... just a question.

im not sure how long it was on hot but should i worry about any damage?

do 240s have a shutoff if they get too hot or does it just run till catastrophic failure?

how in the hell do i check the engine fault code?!? ive read about 5 different way and dont want to mess with it until i have the right way in fear of clearing the code. its a 95 240 ka24de.

Problem number 2
ive owned the car for about 6 months and bought it with a fresh engine rebuild. somehow i have oil just magically disappearing. like a quart every 2 weeks. absoutely no leaks no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. so i started to pay attention to my exhaust. i have vapor on warm up for about 5mins and thats it. no bluish smoke or smoke under acceleration. id think with that much burning id see some smoke or smell some oil but i dont. and advice what so ever?

Thanks for any positive input!

Fuego
03-25-2014, 11:30 PM
As far as your overheating goes, sounds like you have a giant air bubble in your coolant. I'd recommend burping it again. You may have warped the head, but there would be other symptoms with that. Attempt the fix then re-evaluate what problems still exist.

I wouldn't worry about belt slip from a car wash unless your belt is absolute shit or covered in grease.

Take your car to autozone and ask for them to pull the code.

For the oil, the stuff doesn't magically disappear. Pull your plugs and check for oil, then get back under the car with a bright ass light and give it another look.

91240syes
03-26-2014, 12:00 AM
When you put the thermostat on did u make sure the jiggle valve was at 12 O' Clock? and when u burp the coolant make sure u do it for a long time. raise the front of the car so the rad neck is higher then the engine. put a funnel that fits snug in the neck of the radiator and fill it with some coolant while u burp it. and have heater on full speed and full heat. check plugs for oil and check the coolant recirculation hoses on the intake. make sure your fans are coming on. and sort that oil consumption issue.

Cvworth
03-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I didn't do much research before I changed the thermostat. So the valve isn't at 12 unless that just how it ended up. I didn't purposely do it. I'm also beginning to notice that KAs are really bad for air in the system so I'll jack it up and burp it a little better.

What symptoms do I needn't look for if i warped the head?

And as far as the oil consumption goes I'm at a loss unless it's burning it and I just can't see it. Because I know for sure it's not leaking

srstan
03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
I had an issue similar to this on my old rebuilt ka. just took forever to get all of the air out of the system. when you pop your radiator cap off while the car is running do you have a lot of small air bubbles?

dallasb53
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
open the coolant bleed screw on the housing where the upper radiator hose goes into the engine (iirc its around there somewhere it says do not open when hot lol) and fill it with coolant until coolant comes out of there. jacking the front up is another good way to do it.

with a warped head you would notice performance differences.

and as far as your oil goes you have to be burning it, even though you dont see it. could be your valve stem seals or, if the guy who did the fresh rebuild didnt get the head machined correctly the valves themselves could not be sealing causing oil to leak.