PDA

View Full Version : ECU code 21

citizen
06-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Well checked to see if i was throwing any code because i've been experiancing an apparant loss of power recently (just doesn't pull as hard as it should). Got error code 21, ignition signal circuit. So i replaced the coil with another one and that seemed to help *a little* but still missing power and the code is still there. A few months ago my power steering blew up and coated the area in fluid, perhaps that led something to fail? So wondering what else to check and what other people had to do to solve the problem?

DJ_Sunrise
06-13-2004, 04:51 PM
never had a problem like that.. check that ur battery cables look good. replace the old battery - terminal and setup a second ground wire by the front right strut, theres a screw. just setit up there. this may or may not help. its only $6 to do, so its worth a try. maybe ur starter is going bad? hmm.

btw, i would get some engine bay cleaner. im thinking ur shortcircuiting something? just clean it up nice and spiffy.
~Sunrise

citizen
06-13-2004, 05:46 PM
all that stuff is good, the only problem ive had with wiring was when my battery terminals were lose. just sprayed down the electrical connections to the coil with contact cleaner but it didn't help the problem

citizen
06-13-2004, 06:31 PM
i sprayed every connection i could find in the engine bay with contact cleaner and the ecu gave me the 55 (all clear) code, so im gonna take it for a test drive later and see if the powers back and stuff.

zero.counter
06-13-2004, 06:48 PM
I would check the harness and/or connectors, maybe the even the power transistor unit, ignition coil (which you already did), resistors, CPS and/or its' circuit.

how did you clear or attempt to clear the ecu?

citizen
06-13-2004, 07:07 PM
i replaced the whole unit which inlcludes the power transistor. I pulled the codes, ran the car pulled codes again (all clear), disconeccted battery, pulled codes again (all clear). There isn't anything wrong with the harness or any connectors because i haven't touched any of that recently. I think what probably happened is that some power steering fluid seeped in and coated one of the connectors over time. i haven't had a chance to see if it gave me the power back, but if it doesn't throw another code and the powers still not there im gonna look to see if anything else is wrong.

*update* felt gooderer on short test drive, so barring any other hiccups problem solved