PDA

View Full Version : S14 & S15 SR20DE, both have same issue, video included

Feint Movement
03-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I have a 99 Silvia S15 with SR20DE automatic, and a 96 Silvia S14 with a SR20DE manual. Both have the same ticking noise that occurs after starting. Noise does not go away with revving in neutral, BUT once I put them in gear and step on the gas to get going, I hear this "wind up" noise comparable to if you were to take a chain or something, and pull it up over the edge of a table. The "wind up" noise last for a second or two, then goes away, and with it the ticking of the engine goes away as well. It seems the ticking is not there when the engine is under load. And after I drive around and come back to a stop and idle, the noise is no longer there until I leave it idling for more than a couple minutes. And keep in mind, I have the exact same problem and symptoms on both my S15 and S14. Something tells me it's something oil pressure related, VCT sprocket? Or could it may be the tensioner, is the tensioner influenced by oil pressure?

http://youtu.be/X0pwWt90sRo

Listen closely at 40-41 seconds when I put the car in gear and start backing up and putting a bit of load on the engine. You can hear the rattle/wind up and then the ticking goes away.

In the video, I say knocking, but I mean ticking.

Future240
03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
I think it is this. [can't see vid at work, but I have heard of this issue before]

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=158662

specifically

It's the notorious S14 SR20DET VVT cam sprocket rattle. Very common in S14 SR20DET's. My motor makes the same exact noise. Sounds like a Mercedes-Benz Diesel? It's making that noise because the intake cam sprocket is advancing and retarding itself between 1,500 to 5,000 rpm.

You've already answered your own question, you said when the solenoid is disconnected, the sound goes away but you lose low end torque. Which is exactly what's suppose to happen.

With everything still connected, rattle and all.. Push in the clutch, pop it into first gear and blip the throttle, noise go away? If so, it's your VVT sprocket. Theres not much info on here about the rattle but if you do some research over on sxoc.com you'll find all your answers. VERY commmon s14 sr20det problem.

Nissan Part # 13025-65f00 is for the s15 VVT sprocket, if you want to replace it but it's spendy and not a for sure fix, it'll fix it but the noise MIGHT come back later. Only real fix is to eliminate the VVT sprocket all together with either adjustable cam gear or s13 sr20det sprocket, i've heard the sr20de sprocket should work too.