PDA

View Full Version : 1995 s14

t.mann2395
03-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Alright guys, so I'm new to this so go easy on me.

I have a 1995 s14 100% original stock parts, I want to do an engine rebuild on my ka24de that's sitting on 234,000 miles, also I would like to drop in an sr20 manual transmission because I do have an auto and cannot stand it. From my understanding the ka and the sr have the same transmission internals and I would just have to change the bell housing. But to my real question would it be more cost and time effective to do the rebuild and transmission swap or would I be better off just doing the full sr swap into my car. Ive owned the car for three years and finally have a job where I've got the money to make her the beast she needs to be.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this situation

stigo
03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
I would say depends on what kind of rebuilt you are talking about for the ka. If you are doing the full rebiult then the sr is probably cheaper. Anyway, if I were you and if your car is currently running i would just get the sr and slowly replace all the hoses and what not before dropping it in. Once its good to go then do the swap. It should be very reliable this way and you have no downtime.

CamberWear
03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Really no need to trouble yourself with a sr trans, there's no benefits to it over the ka trans.

Also, unless your current motor seems broken in some way it may not need a rebuild, but nonetheless, a freshly rebuilt ka with all the right bolt ons would be every bit of a fun, RELIABLE daily/beater when mated with a manual transmission.

I too bought a 95 240sx 100% stock with the auto trans a couple months back and have since 5 speed swapped it with an s13 ka trans that I sourced for very cheap with God knows how many miles on it. For the swap, I figured what better time to invest in a lightweight flywheel and driveshaft(aluminum 1 piece). That's all I have on the car as far as mods and after driving with the power robbing auto trans for multiple months, the car feels worlds faster/peppier. Oh and the trans shifts like butter.

My thoughts are, if this car is your daily and only car, stick with the ka for now. Sr20's are expensive and while they might have far less miles than your ka, you'll still have to deal with making sure all the components that came with the motor are straight, and replace the ones that aren't.

To answer your question, your ka is more cost effective in becoming/remaining a fun and reliable motor over the sr. But the sr is more cost effective in becoming a high hp beast.