PDA

View Full Version : S12 Ka24de Swap Problem

idae209
03-13-2014, 12:28 AM
So i've been looking through multiple forums and threads and have found many with similar problems to mine but not found an exact answer. :picardfp:

So after doing a tune up on my s12 two weeks ago (replaced oil and fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. ran fine all week), last weekend i was out driving for around for a few hours and parked for about 5min with the car on and idling. It randomly died after 5 minutes. I replaced the cap and rotor and it started right up, but half way home it died again while i was driving. I turned it back on and drove a few more feet, but it died again after the first time.

So far i checked for spark, since i can hear my fuel pump kicking on i'm assuming its working, but I'm not getting spark. I plan on checking the fuses as soon as i get a meter but from my situation does anyone think it will be a fuse or distributor? I'm also going to try starter fluid to see if it can be that once i get spark.

If its neither of those I'm thinking it could be the wire harness or possibly ECU, which i hope its not.

P.S. my ka24de is from a 96 s14 with s13 ignition and distributor, opposed to s14 coil packs :newbie:

zerodameaon
03-13-2014, 01:08 AM
IDK what the issue is but FYI, the S14 KA24DE had a distributor as well.

OnTheChip
03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds like the coil is bad and dies when it gets hot, then starts working again when it cools off.

idae209
03-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Sounds like the coil is bad and dies when it gets hot, then starts working again when it cools off.

so should i go with msd blaster or just replace the stock coil?

Edit: Switch to a coil booster.

idae209
03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
bump for assistance

idae209
03-20-2014, 03:15 PM
checked fuses today. all is good. going to pull codes next

idae209
03-24-2014, 10:36 PM
sooo I'm obviously not a professional mechanic, just an enthusiast like many of you. I had taken off some ground wires that i plugged back in when i got the car(they were taped up when i got the car so i bolted them in) because i thought maybe they were taped up for a reason by the previous owner. Car still didn't turn on, so i bolted them back up, took cap and rotor off and checked them along with spark plug wires, put everything back together then BAM! car turns on :poop: i don't know what it was but hopefully she doesn't do it again.