PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Fuel Problems

pacotaco345
03-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Soo where to start?... In January I got my sr running again with poncams and s14 bbt28, kinda tuned on SAFC neo but was maxing out the stock injectors at just 7 psi. Left for school a couple weeks later and left the car here. Between then and now (my spring break) I had the ecu sent off to enthalpy, got an hks actuator and some sard/denso 550cc injectors. This is where the problems start.

When I first installed the injectors the oem plugs didn't work, though I was told they would. Instead the prongs were bent to shit from having oem plugs shoved onto them by the PO of the injectors. Second, as soon as I primed the pump fuel shot out of the rail around the #2 injector like a motherfucker. So i pulled the injectors again, replaced the o-rings and that fixed that. Next I picked up some denso connectors and wired them in (used solder and heat shrink).

I finally plugged everything in and went to fire it up. Running on cylinders 2 & 3, with spark in all 4. Got injector 1 to fire and went to work on #4. This is where I'm stuck at now. I've checked resistance across the injector, ~15 ohms, the same as the other four. I've checked power to the injectors (my wiring) and watched it fluctuate up and down between 3 & 12v as the car was running. Fixed the little prongs on ALL the injectors so that they finally plug in as should. I've put my ear next to the injectors and I *THINK* that I hear the fourth injector clicking, but I'm not sure that its not me overhearing the other 3. With the fuel pump fuse pulled, the car sits there and barely fires as the remaining in the rail trinkles down into the injectors. I unplugged all the coilpacks with the exception of cyl 4 and removed the pump fuse again; the car occasionally pops as the injector lets fuel drop into the cylinder. Plug everything back in and same old song and dance. Car runs on cylinders 1, 2 and 3. Unplugging the 4th makes no difference whatsoever.

Sooo what do you guys think? Maybe injector 4 is kinda stuck open to where without fuel pressure it functions as it should, and with 43 psi its just too much?.. Or maybe its stuck shut.. Or maybe I'm just an idiot and there's something I'm missing. Either way if anyone has an idea please give me your input. I'm getting tired of throwing money at this thing and would prefer not to drop another $300 on injectors. :/

user name!
03-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Just pull the rail out and have someone turn the car to the on position and check to see if all injectors are firing.

steve shadows
03-12-2014, 04:04 AM
What is the quality of injectors. I never buy used injectors or recommend it on builds I am consulting on. Always get new injectors. Don't f around. Also ditch the PFC as soon as you can. Use the AEM piggy back or get a Haltech 500. I can help you set it up remotely if you're wary of standalone due to experience with standalones but you'll make more power and the setup will be a lot more reliable. Thanks

inopsey
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
What is the quality of injectors. I never buy used injectors or recommend it on builds I am consulting on. Always get new injectors. Don't f around. Also ditch the PFC as soon as you can. Use the AEM piggy back or get a Haltech 500. I can help you set it up remotely if you're wary of standalone due to experience with standalones but you'll make more power and the setup will be a lot more reliable. Thanks
haltech and aem both have english speaking customer service reps at their call centers whom will help you for FREE to set up ANY ecu they sell.

pacotaco345
03-13-2014, 04:47 PM

I have a ROM tune from enthalpy, no standalone here. The only APEXi thing in the car is the safc neo that is zero'd out now that I have a tune.

In other news, I got the car to run right. The day after I posted this I did the screwdriver to the injector things and was able to hear all 4 injectors clicking. Stumped as to why cylinder 4 wasn't firing I swapped the locations of injectors 3 and 4. And for some reason that completely fixed the issue...

codyace
03-15-2014, 09:34 PM
SloppyMechanics Protip:

Old injectors can stick. Do a quick 12v 'jump' to injectors that have sat around for a while. Usually it'll sort them out and make them work again. YOu'd be surprized how many dead injectors just need some 'finese' to start working again.

pacotaco345
03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
SloppyMechanics Protip:

Old injectors can stick. Do a quick 12v 'jump' to injectors that have sat around for a while. Usually it'll sort them out and make them work again. YOu'd be surprized how many dead injectors just need some 'finese' to start working again.

Thanks cody, I actually got the car to run right aside from it stalling when coming off throttle but I'm currently talking back and forth with martin from enthalpy to get that worked out. If I ever run into these problems again though I'll be sure to give that a try first.