PDA

View Full Version : help. alternator wiring. cutting out.

Mongooze
02-28-2014, 10:52 AM
So a while back I had this problem with my car completely cutting out at WOT. Crashed the rear, parked it, took a break, fixed it and in between ripped out all the wiring and redid it all.

Car runs, but when you accelerate it cuts out, intsead of wot like it use to now its anytime you give it throttle, now I've narrowed it down to being a battery power loss issue. Battery's dead so I jumped it with the charger, started it and forget to turn the charger off and noticed it didn't act up, turned the charger off and it acts up. Turn on the charger and it dosnt do it. Test the main cable on the alternator 9v, OK I replaced the alternator And battery, no dice, alternators only charging at 11.8v and drops a little bit over time.

I'm stumped but I want to go over my alternator wiring, Main power wire going to the battery, ground to ground, and the 2 wires on the connector, one to 12v ignition and the other to the factory gauge cluster, now I'm running a custom cluster, factory cluster is gone, and the wire from the alternator that is suppose to be going to the cluster is not hooked up to anything, Now should that wire be going somewhere? and any other ideas as to wtf is going on lol??

Car is a VH45DE Z32 btw.

any help apprectiated, thank you.

dbeiler
02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
That one wire running to the gauge is for illumination of the low battery/insufficient charge warning light. In your case, the battery light would probably be illuminated whenever the car is running. Is the alternator belt tight? Are you 1000% sure you're using a good, serviceable battery?

Mongooze
02-28-2014, 03:37 PM
That one wire running to the gauge is for illumination of the low battery/insufficient charge warning light. In your case, the battery light would probably be illuminated whenever the car is running. Is the alternator belt tight? Are you 1000% sure you're using a good, serviceable battery?

Belts good. Alt and battery are both brand new.

Agamemnon
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Its the disconnected charge warning wire that is causing your issue. Connect it to your ignition for the "ON" position through a 7.5A fuse.

Mongooze
03-12-2014, 08:21 PM
for future references if you eve have this issue, you have to hook up the wire to either your cluster, a 1156 bulb or a resistor to complete the circuit. I did that and it fixed the problem and the car rips!