PDA

View Full Version : Strange clutch prob. Need some advice from experienced Zilvians

SR20?
02-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi I'm fairly new to this forum and haven't been messing with 240s very long. Got this 93 S13 coupe and recently it started not wanting to go into gear. So basically I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder and deleted my damper box by bending the clutch line around 180 degrees, then bled the crap out of it till I was getting fresh fluid and no air bubbles. Clutch feels great and car drove fine for about 2 days until I started having the same problem. Push the clutch to the floor and it will not go into any gear. I can put the car in first, hold the clutch, and start it but the car will roll forward as you are cranking. Once it starts, I still cannot get into 2nd or any other gear.

I can physically see the slave moving the clutch fork a good 3-4 inches with a buddy pressing the clutch. Double checked all the fittings to make sure I don't have any leaks which would allow air into the system, but then again the clutch pedal is nice and firm anyways. I have a 93 FSM and have adjusted the push rod on the clutch pedal to specification. (1-3mm of free play, 7.5 in pedal height from floorboard)

I do not hear any weird noises coming from inside the bellhousing with the clutch in or out. Nice and quiet. I'm kinda stumped right now. Don't really want to pull the trans for no reason. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

brndck
02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Either your clutch disc took a shit and there is friction material between the disc and the pressure plate, or a spring popped out and is between the disc and pressure plate.
Just my .02.

Pull the boot from around the fork (the thing the slave pushes against) and see if you can see inside the bellhousing. If the disc fragged there will be little chunks of it shredded

SR20?
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I will try to see in the trans as best as I can later today. I'm a bit skeptical of the clutch exploding since it gradually got harder to put into gear until it finally just wouldn't go at all. Also I am not hearing any strange noises. Seems like the clutch coming apart would be a bit noisy.

I am beginning to think more of an internal problem for sure though. I was thinking of trying to use a pry bar to move the clutch fork a bit farther and see what happens. I'll report back soon.

brndck
02-16-2014, 01:42 PM
I will try to see in the trans as best as I can later today. I'm a bit skeptical of the clutch exploding since it gradually got harder to put into gear until it finally just wouldn't go at all. Also I am not hearing any strange noises. Seems like the clutch coming apart would be a bit noisy.

I am beginning to think more of an internal problem for sure though. I was thinking of trying to use a pry bar to move the clutch fork a bit farther and see what happens. I'll report back soon.

If it's the disc that fragged you won't really hear anything different. When that stuff comes apart it looks like clumps of fur.

If it's a spring then you'd hear it.

g2ic02
02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
if you bleed the shit out of you clutch does it start to work again? when you bleed the clutch you need to adjust the clutch rod so when you push the pedal it travels the whole length of the master cylinder(so no air is trapped in the end of the bore). If you bleed it and works for a couple of days then it is a problem with the hydraulics(air entering the system or not being bled completely) New doesn't always mean working. I work as a tech and get bad parts all the time.

FaLKoN240
02-16-2014, 11:10 PM
I just went through the same thing you're describing the other week.

Turned out my clutch disc had worn down the material almost to the rivets.

I replaced the clutch and my car goes again.