PDA

View Full Version : HELP GUYS S13/S14 rear brake fitment

Raine
06-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Okay so I found that my left rear caliper piston seal has a tear in it. I visited a couple junkyards looking for a replacement, but all I saw was three S13's and only one S14 (with the entire rear suspension taken already, including brakes)... can anyone tell me if S13 rear brake calipers will bolt onto an S14? I can't drive my car at all until I get this fixed and local shops want to charge me $400 to get both rear calipers replaced as a unit (they wont do seals, or only one side). So does anyone know if it'll work!?!?

Also, I'm like 99.9% sure on this, but there were no changes in rear brakes from 1995-1998, right? And does ABS/non ABS matter if you're just replacing the caliper?

idlafie
06-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Okay so I found that my left rear caliper piston seal has a tear in it. I visited a couple junkyards looking for a replacement, but all I saw was three S13's and only one S14 (with the entire rear suspension taken already, including brakes)... can anyone tell me if S13 rear brake calipers will bolt onto an S14? I can't drive my car at all until I get this fixed and local shops want to charge me $400 to get both rear calipers replaced as a unit (they wont do seals, or only one side). So does anyone know if it'll work!?!?

Also, I'm like 99.9% sure on this, but there were no changes in rear brakes from 1995-1998, right? And does ABS/non ABS matter if you're just replacing the caliper?

According to a Nissan reference book I have access to, the part numbers for the S13 and S14 rear brake calipers are totally different, (S13-#44011-35F01RE vs S14-#44011-69F01). But not having a set of S13 & S14 rear brake calipers in front of me, I couldn't tell you---sorry. However, Nissan does sell a Rear Caliper Reseal Kit, (Part #44120-N9528) for the 95-98's but looking at my FSM rebuilding the rear calipers looks like a MAJOR pain in the ass to do. You're probably better off just buying a set of rebuilt calipers and doing the work yourself. Most of the costs incurred will be for parts but you can probably end up saving up to $100 dollars or more depending on what you purchase & what you replace - calipers / rotors / pads / shims / etc. $400 bucks sounds about right for a shop to replace the calipers / rotors / pads & shims with all brand new parts...excluding the calipers...those will probably be rebuilts.
Anyhow, hope this helps...
Good luck!!
ID
'95 SE

Grant
06-09-2004, 03:08 AM
the bracket the the e-brake cable connects to is different.. my friend installed and s13 caliper on his car. now the e-brake works like crap.. He did tell me it seems like the brackets look like they can be swapped. He hasnt gotten around to it though.

AKADriver
06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
The S14 rear caliper piston is larger, also.

A hundred bucks buys a reman caliper from a parts store. Return your busted caliper for the core. No sweat.

WilloW
06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
The S14 rear caliper piston is larger, also.

A hundred bucks buys a reman caliper from a parts store. Return your busted caliper for the core. No sweat.

Yeah, go with his idea ^^. It cost me $70 for a remanufactured rear caliper from Autozone (cheapest around).

knightrider
06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
imo i would replace both rear calipers, i know there is nuthing wrong with the other side, but its just better to do both, so that you know both are new, and applying the same force.

cdlong
06-09-2004, 04:16 PM
i've rebuilt the rear calipers, it's a little difficult, but not really that hard. all you really need to replace if you are rebuilding them is the dust seal and the rollback seal. the rebuild kit is like $10. if you are at all handy, you can do it yourself. i can do aquick write up if you want.